platform pedals

agrove

Devout Dirtbag
I am trying to peice together a list of the parts i need to get money for, and pedals are somthing that is really bogging me down.

I dont want to go clipless just yet, so my question is what are some platform pedals that have good grip, are incredibly durable, and plus they need to look killer :LOL:

I am trying to keep the cost under 60, just because I cant justify spending anymore than that, but please, fire any suggestions you have at me.

DMR V8 or V12's, excellent bearing quality, solid construction, look like the classic Shimano DX and they are avalible in a range of colours.

One of the few great modern components!

Hi Aaron,

I do use for example:
- Campy Euclid
- XT beartrap
- modern Shimano PD MX30
- modern 24 Oldschool
- modern GT Bestwick

The Campys are not the gripiest, but the go and they go.... Easier to service than the XT as access is a bit easier (cap easier to remove) and the balls are way bigger than the very little ones in the XTs. Campys are a bit difficult to source probably.

The MX30 are great if you replace the original too short pins by the longer pins that are included in the package. Can be a tough job as the pins are really small and very well tightened. I ended up loosing grip with the tiny allenkey with several pins.

24 Oldschool: They are made with Wellgo I think, but they are upscale ones. Nice optics, okay bearing and a lot of grip. Only tiny flaw I can find: Were the axle touches the crank at the end of the threads the axle is not round like with the Shimanos for example. This means the edges will cut a little more in the aluminium if you are a person who removes and installs his pedals 24/7.

The GT pedals I use are very huge. They are actually too huge for a proper classic built. The are comfortable because of the huge platform. Grip is okay. Inside there is 1 cartridge bearing and 1 very poor plain bearing.

- Melvin

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

a few questions though...

how do welgo's pedals hold up? They are relativly cheap, and seem to have large platfors as well as what looks to be like awesome grip.

thanksss.....

The conventional Wellgo's incl the pedals Wellgo makes for others, like the GT DX, are especially cheap. Mosture enters pretty easy and after some time the bearings run dry and play develops. I use several pairs, as 1) they are indeed cheap and 2) with the # of bikes I own there isn't the need to have the best pedals on any bike.

- Melvin

Stick Legs":2ls1ythe said:
DMR V8 or V12's, excellent bearing quality, solid construction, look like the classic Shimano DX and they are avalible in a range of colours.

One of the few great modern components!

Yep, totally agree....and if you do manage to damage something most bits are available as spares :D

Stu

Never tried the DMR pedals. The V8 pedals seem to have a kind of Grease Guard, what I consider very interesting.

Why should one spent the extra amount on V12 pedals? Okay, the axle is chromed and probably the bearings are nicer, but it doesn't have the GreaseGuard. What is the best pick?

agrove":1qit1xkh said:
where would i find these DMR V8 or V12 pedals?

Any good quality BMX store will do them, the V8 is the pick of the bunch, though the V12 looks prettier! Failing that try online!

Back