RIH

There is nice 'Reus' on a famous classified site right now. It is located nearby. Maybe I will drop him a line.

I just found this site, and being somewhat vintage myself figured
I should join and introduce myself.
I've had a love affair with bikes, specifically Dutch bikes (thus my response in this thread) since the early 1980s. Before that I lusted after Viscounts, Falcons and Schwinn paramounts (and the odd Colnago thrown in).
I spent 20+ years (on and off) looking for a Zieleman which I acquired 2 years ago. My modest collection includes the aforementioned ca. 1974 Zieleman, 1975 RIH, 1975 Remy, a 1990 Jan de Reus, a 1983 Trek 770,
a 1989 Serotta and finally a 1983/4 Pogliaghi pista.
The Zieleman by far is my favourite bike.
Here are a few pictures.
RIH
P1010052.jpg

Jan de Reus
P1010078.jpg

Pogliaghi
P1010143.jpg

hi hi Marty,

Welcome overhere, on Retrobike !

I hope to experience the magic of a Zieleman myself one day ;)

I like the quirky paintschemes Jan de Reus bike often show. Your bike is no exception.

I must admit I have a sweet spot for Dutch bikes as well. Do not own a Dutch roadbike, but I like the idea of owning one. I do have a Dutch mountainbike ! A quite oddball one: A Rafty Funnel. Made by famous marathon iceskater Edward Hagen. For Dutch a MTB almost can't be more 'Cult' than a Rafty.

We'll see whether I will add a nice Dutch roadie to the stable in future. It is in the stars !

The de Reus was painted in that scheme to match the jersey of a local
club in the netherlands.
Reus2.jpg

At first I wasn't enamoured of the colour but it's kind of grown on me.
I look the ultimate poseur with the bike and matching jersey!
The de Reus is an interesting ride, very quick steering, dives into corners
and likely to dump me on the ground if I try to ride no hands. Its almost
as if the bike is saying "hey stupid pay attention!".
I do need to get new pictures of the Zieleman, the only ones I have are the ones the person who bought it for me in the Netherlands took.
It's shod in Suntour Superbe with the exception of Simplex retrofriction
shifters.
there's more good information on Dutch Bikes here:
http://www.rijwiel.net/
and RIH here:
http://rihsportamsterdam.nl/ (dutch only)
and this is an interesting article on dutch brands:
http://www.roadbikeaction.com/fly.aspx? ... 96&cid=127

The two bikes very high on my list are JABO (Jasper Bouma) and Joco
of which I've seen pictures of exactly one (each).

marty

Today I got my Zieleman :D

It is gloss black with silver panels. It is one with 'KZ' engraved in the seatstays.

Condition is very good! It came with an odd mix of parts:
1st gen DA cranks silver/black
1st gen DA brakes
Record wheels
Campa aero levers
600 arabesque mechs
600 arab. headset
Cinelli bars
Cinelli 'Zieleman' pantagraphed stem, black
Turbo Hinault seat, white

I am planning taking it entirely apart and build it up again. It could very well be the parts of the for me waaaaay to tall RIH will be used (Roval, Weinmann Delta Pro, Super Record...)

Another option is a mix of C Record with SR or a mix of DA EX/AX. The later is in 1st instance not really the prefered option as all my bikes are DA already (Koga, Panasonic - both Japanese bikes, Japan all the way!)

Anyway, like always the build will be typical Dutch pragmatic. I will solely use parts laying around. If I had to hunt for every single part this hobby would be unfundable.

There is more news: A 2nd, a cherry red one, is making its way to me now. I am very excited (but a bit feared I'll have to park it in the elements due to I ran out of room :oops: ) Tomorrow I am within 10km of a Joco that appears to be really nice. I saw other famous true collectors showed interest already, so I think I'll leave that one. Enough for now, even if it may an almost once in a livetime oportunity sort of.

Of course there will be full coverage on the projects overhere at Retrobike :)

Was that the black Zieleman on Marktplaats this week?
If so I know someone who was also bidding on it.
2 Zieleman bikes? too cool.
Where did you see the Joco? can you provide details on it?
and of course we need pictures, both here and at Bikeforums
(can I say that here?).

totsiens,
Marty

lotek":2xotl8bl said:
Was that the black Zieleman on Marktplaats this week?
If so I know someone who was also bidding on it.

Yep. I feel sorry for your connection. I made the seller a very decent offer and a friend working in Amsterdam picked it up a day later.

2 Zieleman bikes? too cool.

Sure! I do not know how the red one looks like, but when I have them both I do some good thinking on how to build them. It looks like the red has Nuovo Record currently.

Where did you see the Joco? can you provide details on it?

I would like to, but I can't. It was on Marktplaats, but its listing disappeared. It was a neat gloss light blue one. Downtube said 'Joco Ronde van Vlaanderen'. The bike looked more stretched than the way newer Zieleman of course. Campa equipment.

and of course we need pictures, both here and at Bikeforums
(can I say that here?).

I am a picture making guy :) Please be patient, but they will be there.

I managed to see that Joco before the auction got pulled.
wonderful looking bike, if it were a bit smaller I would have been
very serious about that one.
Good news on the person who you outbid on the black Zieleman.
I put them in contact with someone with a 1980 Zieleman. and they
are sending their too big Zieleman to another acquaintance. Perfect.

Marty

Back