Marzocchi Bomber Z1 CR forks

sam_white

Diamond Back Fan
I've just taken delivery of a pair of Marzocchi Bomber Z1 CR forks, year 2000 model. Does anyone have any information about these, mainly where they sat in the Z1 lineup and what the differences between them were? The fork has a bolt on crown, bolt on brace, preload and externally adjustable rebound damping. I'd guess they are 130mm travel, will be checking them shortly!
Cheers, Sam

I had those, and I currrently have some 1998 Bams.

CRs were the top Z1s, adjustable rebound and compression damping, 4 or 5 inch travel.

Lovely forks, and are becoming collectable especially the orange bams.

(BAM stands for Bomber Aerospace Material, whish is a load of bollocks and basically just means aluminium!)

Thanks Carter, feel as if I've got a bargain now. Guess the 'CR' must be short for compression & rebound. Thought they might have been some OEM fork.
Reading around on the net, they dropped the compression damper the following year and went back to dual rebound. Ebay picture attached.

Attachments

• z1crebay.jpg
    z1crebay.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 4,352
Re:

hi all,just got a pair of z1 cr's,98's(polished with blue bomber decals) i think,anyway has any body got any idea are these bam's or alu's,as oil level is higher om bams,cheers martin :)

If the bottom of the slider is round, as mine are in the pic above, they're BAMs. If the bottom is tapered to the dropout, and they have dual disc mounts, they'll be the ALU model.

I had a set of the iconic orange bombers on my first DH rig, a 1998 Giant ATX 990.
Fantastic forks, still are to this day.

Great fork indeed. I have a set on my 1999 Chameleon. The compression rod was known to 'spike' hard on fast compressions; that's why it was dropped in 2001 in favor of 2 rebound cartridges.

Yours appear to be in the 5.5" setting. Alternate is 4". I spent a fair penny on mine earlier in 2014 and never regretted it.

I was opportunistically looking at buying some of these recently, look good. Will service my orange Z1's instead i think.

Latest posts

Back