Dump find of the Month! 1975 Dave Moulton Track Bike...

Re: Re:

dave moulton":2vagdufj said:
Martin,
The thought occurred to me that this might be the same bike mentioned in the article. But I don't want to jump to conclusions. I didn't get your email yet, so if you could send it again I would be much obliged.
Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,
Checked the email address and was the same, but sent again anyway but you might just want to check i'm not ending up in your spam folder?? Let me know if you still don't get them.

FYI, the frame number is M552 and sized at around around 50cm...

Many thanks,
Martin.

Re:

Martin,
Your email did go into my spam folder for whatever reason, but I recovered it. The frame number confirms that it is indeed the same bike pictured in the 1976 cycling article http://www.davemoultonregistry.com/pdf/ ... _Nov76.pdf
The bike was built for Margaret (Maggie) Gordon Smith, a top female rider on both the road and track, in the 1970s. At that time she was a member of the Evesham Wheelers, in Worcestershire. There is a reason Maggie's head is cut off in the picture. There were strict rules in the 1970s regarding amateur status, and I could not name top amateur riders using my frames, or even show a picture of them linked to an article like this one. They would have lost their amateur status even though I only gave them a frame, and never paid them any money.
This is interesting stuff, and a part of history. I would like to write a blog article about this one.
Dave

Footnote: Margaret Gordon Smith's specialty on the track was the Pursuit, over 3000m, winning the National Championship in 1977 and again in 1978 beating big names such as Beryl Burton and her daughter Denise, Brenda Atkinson and Catherine Swinnerton. Outside the UK, she rode in 1971, 1977 and 1978 track and road World Championship. Many of these wins were most likely on this same bike.

dave moulton":2avfzbfd said:
Martin,
Your email did go into my spam folder for whatever reason, but I recovered it. The frame number confirms that it is indeed the same bike pictured in the 1976 cycling article http://www.davemoultonregistry.com/pdf/ ... _Nov76.pdf
The bike was built for Margaret (Maggie) Gordon Smith, a top female rider on both the road and track, in the 1970s. At that time she was a member of the Evesham Wheelers, in Worcestershire. There is a reason Maggie's head is cut off in the picture. There were strict rules in the 1970s regarding amateur status, and I could not name top amateur riders using my frames, or even show a picture of them linked to an article like this one. They would have lost their amateur status even though I only gave them a frame, and never paid them any money.
This is interesting stuff, and a part of history. I would like to write a blog article about this one.
Dave

Footnote: Margaret Gordon Smith's specialty on the track was the Pursuit, over 3000m, winning the National Championship in 1977 and again in 1978 beating big names such as Beryl Burton and her daughter Denise, Brenda Atkinson and Catherine Swinnerton. Outside the UK, she rode in 1971, 1977 and 1978 track and road World Championship. Many of these wins were most likely on this same bike.
Hi Dave, Thanks for letting me know you got the emails and even more so, for letting me know that my 'find' is all the more amazing!! This is indeed very interesting stuff and now feel I need to know more about Margaret Gordon Smith and her career and this bike. She obviously kept it very well as it doesn't really look that 'used' or 'worn' but somehow sad that it ended up at the tip - don't know how i'm afraid... Please let me know if you need anything else from me or better photographs etc??
Bye for now...
Martin.

MartyP":6cp5191a said:
dave moulton":6cp5191a said:
Martin,
Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for letting me know you got the emails and even more so, for letting me know that my 'find' is all the more amazing!! This is indeed very interesting stuff and now feel I need to know more about Margaret Gordon Smith and her career and this bike. She obviously kept it very well as it doesn't really look that 'used' or 'worn' but somehow sad that it ended up at the tip - don't know how i'm afraid... Please let me know if you need anything else from me or better photographs etc??
Bye for now...
Martin.
Are here she is - Maggie winning the 1977 National Pursuit event on my very bike!! Amazing Image!! Fantastic!!

Attachments

• Maggie_Winning_Nat_Pursuit-1977.jpg
    Maggie_Winning_Nat_Pursuit-1977.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,439
Re:

Great picture. That line she is riding on is called the Pursuiter's Line, above that line you are riding extra distance, just below it you are disqualified. In fact there are sandbags placed just below to stop you riding there. (See Picture.) You can't hold that line any closer than Margaret is, with both wheels on it. BTW I am pretty sure this bike still has all its original equipment, with the exception of tires.
Dave.

dave moulton":nq8je0ot said:
Great picture. That line she is riding on is called the Pursuiter's Line, above that line you are riding extra distance, just below it you are disqualified. In fact there are sandbags placed just below to stop you riding there. (See Picture.) You can't hold that line any closer than Margaret is, with both wheels on it. BTW I am pretty sure this bike still has all its original equipment, with the exception of tires.
Dave.
Hi Dave,
Oh ok, all very interesting stuff as I don't know anything about track! Yes the bike looks 'time-warp' and i'm sure the white cloth bar tape and red tape in the 1977 picture is still the very ones on the bike - lovely!! Just need to get a couple of period sprint tubs now and that will be about it as I want to preserve it how it is and has been for almost the last 40 years!!
Cheers,
Martin.

Great find and an even greater story :shock: :shock: :cool:

What's plan for bike ..?

Glad you saved a classic with proper history !!

Plus one":1zzydt8x said:

What's plan for bike ..?

Yes! I'm really chuffed with this one!! Just shame it's far too small! Still, I'm going to clean it properly, fit some new 'period' sprint tubs and that will be basically it I think...
Cheers & Happy New Year!

MartyP":3iujivau said:
Plus one":3iujivau said:

What's plan for bike ..?

Yes! I'm really chuffed with this one!! Just shame it's far too small! Still, I'm going to clean it properly, fit some new 'period' sprint tubs and that will be basically it I think...
Cheers & Happy New Year!

Lovely addition to any collection :cool:

All the best in 2015

Back