1987 Saracen Tufftrax

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This one got pasted on to me after another forum member ( Edmund aka brocklanders023 ) won it on eBay but then past it onto me, what a top man.

The bike is in ok condition, so I think this will be a strip down and rebuild. The seat post isn't stuck and the from wheel has been laced with ss spokes which is nice.

He it is for now.

Re: 1988 Saracen Tufftrax

I love it! It's weird but I like it as it is. In the photos if just looks so cool in a condition like this.

But I'm sure you can bring it to top notch nick with a rebuild!

Re:

That is very nice and unusually in a non gate size :LOL: I think its an 87 as the 88 had exage trail from memory

DSP has one of these also ;)

Re: 1988 Saracen Tufftrax

an 87 then, nice and good to know. I was expecting exage so when I picked it up and it was Deore, I was very happy. This is definitely not gate size, it is the total other end of the scale. Only measures 17.5" seat tube c-c and 21.5 top tube c-c.

I have stripped it apart from the crank as my puller has broken...so have started to T-cut the frame, a few bits of paint missing but apart from that, it's comming up nice.

Re:

Started to T-cut the frame, every thing off the bike just the BB to get out.... :shock:

Re: Re:

Gravy Monster":3gd0dqgq said:
That is very nice and unusually in a non gate size :LOL: I think its an 87 as the 88 had exage trail from memory

DSP has one of these also ;)

Actually I have two. One yellow and one red. Both a long way off being restored though.

But yes, that is a 1987 Tufftrax. The 88 bike had a decal variation and Exage Trail components.

Here's an ad from 87:

saracen4_108.jpg

Here are those Shimano components:

Pages+29+_amp_+30.jpg

And here's a link to the 1987 Saracen catalogue:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... n_1987.pdf

Good score.

Re:

Thanks for that great info. I will change the title to 87. :cool:
The same as year as my Raleigh then.

Finished cleaning the frame and crank. The head tube is looking a bit like it cranking but hopefully it just the paint. I will have a proper look later.

BB sorted today, it still a bit wobbly but it will do for now, the good news it was free and come out without any issues at all....always a bonus.

Back