I'm pretty much ready to build this up, as soon as I have access to my garage and tools again (using a Roox stem and Zoom bars and putting the Loaded bars to one side for now).

I think my only dilemma at the moment is whether to build it up as planned with the Sachs grip shifters and wide-range Sunrace cassette or to get a wide-range 9-speed cassette and use it with the Dura-ace thumbshifter I bought from SJS.

26273.jpg

I'm not sure about grip shift, so I was going to use the Sachs one as a test, but I haven't really been taken with the grip shift on my earlier M-Trax, which is the only bike I have which uses it.

So.. Did it get built yet..?

I'm using the Ultegra version shifters on my 2nd RSP450! I found that they were very stiff in indexed use though, so switched over to friction - much easier! I've also swung mine round in mounting so they are upside down and sit under the (riser) bars.. Hence also why using in friction mode is much easier - have you got yours hooked up yet?

If you need any other 94 BCD chainrings I have a couple spare. A Middleburn 'solid' DH 44T and a TA 46T. I did have a 42T somewhere, but seem to have used or misplaced it!..
Those cranks by the way are THE business! Picked up a black set that I have on my Magura and been going strong for a couple of years now. You can use a very narrow BB (110mm on some frames) and still run good clearance, even on a triple ring setup - which helps with shifting as it keeps the chainline fairly straight.

I should have pics of my RSP by now, but this weather's not conducive to taking much! It's good for building though, so...? ;)

Still not built yet. It's pretty much ready to be, but I've not had use of my garage since the start of October, so bike building and maintenance have been a little tricky since then.

That's an interesting idea, mounting the shifter under the bar .... I may do that! I was thinking if I used it I would need to get 9-speed cassette, but I guess using it on friction mode it wouldn't matter.

I'm glad you rate the cranks - I'll be honest, I bought them because I love the design. I think I have a few different compact chainrings, but I'll check and if I don't have the right tooth count I'll get back to you.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your build!

Oh, one piece of progress is that I picked up a couple of sets of Hutchinson Cameleons (from Cycle Tyres Direct in France - very good service), one of which I intend to put on the RSP.

Pneu-Hutchinson-Cameleon-noir-rouge_1235x735.jpg

Yeah, I really should get some pics done for Insurance purposes if nothing else!
Those tyres look pretty awesome..You ordered the ones with the red walls?
I haven't seen/heard much from Huchinson in the last decade.

Yup, friction mode works a charm! You do need to be sure on the shifting though as otherwise you get a lot of drivetrain drag - just take a bit of practice, but nothing major! Does help knowing you can push down 5-6 gears if needed with one sweep. It depends on use though - the reason I find it works is that this RSP is set up for urban use, commuting etc; I'm not sure about how well the underslung shifters would work if being battered around on trails! You'd lose accuracy and reach.
I've managed to get mine set so I can still reach them from the grips easily enough, but I have big hands, so it's definitely an individual preference thing!
Yup - I bought the cranks for the same reason! ;) Have to say though that they are equivalent in every way to a set of Middleburns etc - just fit & forget - whilst simultaneously looking awesome on the bike..
Sure, just let me know if you're in need of a 94BCD if you don't have the right size!
What seatpost are you planning, out of interest? The 30.2's are a pain to find at a sensible price, so I went with shimmed 27.2.

Yeah, I fancied the red wall ones, which was why I ended up ordering them from France! I've not tried them before, but they were pretty cheap and are meant to be general usage, so I'll see how I find them.

Mine will definitely be used for off-road, as I have other bikes set up for commuting. I'm still undecided on the shifting and may even try the Sachs twist shifters I originally got, but I'll probably experiment and see which works best. I have fairly long fingers/thumbs too, so reach for shifting shouldn't be an issue.

Is it definitely 30.2 diameter? I have a 30.0 post that fits snugly and I read 30.0mm somewhere else too. The post I have for it is a Zoom Lightweight cro-mo one. It's lovely and if I could find them in the right sizes I would use them on more of my bikes.

Just been on the phone helping with exchange of contracts for my dad's new house, so I should have my garage back within a few weeks, so hopefully not long until I get this (and a couple of the others) fully built.

I'm still on the lookout for a Loaded stem if anyone sees one, but for now I'm going to use a standard size Zoom bars with a Roox stem.

Haha, you might be right! I've got a couple with 30.0 and 30.2, so tend to just use a 30.2 shim and 27.2 post as it makes swapping parts much easier!

Yeah, I'd try rotating the shifters - see how you get on.. I've never been enamoured with Grip/Twist shift myself, but some swear by it! Might just be that the accuracy to use friction over a 9-Sp cassette offroad takes some getting used to. I have that on one of mine running 2x9 but that's with thumbies! The road shifters are very precise and take minimal lever movement to get them to shift across the cassette so it's easy to get them slightly out of line and shift 1 more gear than you intend in the beginning..

Nice! Roox stem to match the cranks? Which Loaded one were you on the lookout for?
As far as the timing; I'll still have the chainrings if needed!

I'm continually amazed at the Raleighs when they're set up 'wrong' The catalogue shows them fairly staid in being XC setup, low bars, long stem etc; maybe I'm just riding them wrong, but they do seem to fly when they have a nice short stem (60mm) and risers..

Yeah, I bought a black Roox stem on here and picked up some cheap standard size Zoom bars to match the seatpost, but originally I'd planned to use the nice oversize Loaded bars I have with a Loaded Xlite stem, but most the ones I see for sale are in the US or Australia and a bit pricey.

I generally feel too upright or cramped with a shorter stem, but once it's built up I can fiddle until I have a riding position that suits me.

I really wish I could spend my weekend building it up now!

Sticking with the glacial pace, I managed to add the XT 9-speed cassette, Continental tubes and Hutchinson Cameleon tyres in a free few minutes tonight.

Vq1HHwXeahKXnifkE9-3mjgTgiFfdSD_oox2cKy6hf89ukdgPIoOX_ySbyhWJG41Ws4A=w1680-h1050-no

Latest posts

Back