difference between a Zaskar and a Zaskar LE

LOL, loving this thread.

I think it proves that nobody here actually knows the answer to the question.

Seriously, does nobody have a brochure etc which can clear this up?

utahdog2003":1pftlr0h said:
cherrybomb":1pftlr0h said:
Like I said, the LE had a butted rear triangle, the standard Zaskar didn't. ;)

I've only seen that perpetuated here. If you've got some marketing or other such literature from GT to show the difference, then I'd love to see it. Otherwise, I call BS and say thats all hooey! :D

Seriously, The LE is a trim/build distinction. They don't seem to be numbered differently, and to me that's the real indicator that they are the same frames. All true Zaskars that mattered were 6061, all were made in the states, and all that are 6061 and made in the states kick ass, just like their other Tech Shop mates, the Xizang and Psyclone. Zaskars after 1995 or so, with the foolish looking boom tube downtube, need not apply. If your Zaskar is 7005, you bought a later model bike, or a period correct Avalanche with nice decals. :cry:

That ought to stir up Pickle... :D

You could be right, but I know that I brought my LE as a frame only so the build spec theory is out, and it was lighter than the same sized Zaskar frame that was for sale in the shop. I'm not going on any literature, just what I remember from around 13 years ago so....

If I'm wrong, then I hold my hands up. ;)

From my shop days I remember that the LE was the fancy schmantzy build and the Zaskar was the standard build, but the frames were the same. There are no numbering differences. Might be that the 1992 Zaskar was straight guage and the 1994 was butted, or some other change in year to year spec, but I don't believe there's any difference in them within the same year regardless of their LE-ness. :D

Again, only concerning myself with what I think are the Zaskars that matter...1992 to 1995 or there abouts. Small diameter down-tubers...that look like this

Attachments

• 71c5_3.jpg
    71c5_3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,012
Yup them's the babies gusset under the top tube, but mine was ink blue. Lovely she was too.

I'm just going on what I was told at the time, not anything I've seen in print.
My LE frame was certainly lighter than the standard Zaskar frame they had in the shop, but I suppose you could be right, it could have been a model year difference in tube specs rather than a difference between the two.

My LE was certainly a frame only deal though so I'm not convinced by the build spec theory. They had a red and a BB LE as well, so I know they were genuine frame only jobbies. I guess the Zaskar frame could have been stripped down though? :?

Who knows what happened after these fat down-tuber things came out. I lost interest as the quality seemed to drop off considerably from the earlier bikes. The beginning of the end from here...only a matter of time until 7005 maybe?, Kenisis?, Old Schwinn Excelsior tubes? A few chapter 11s?

GT was never the same.

Sad.

Pic edited to protect the innocent...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,007
The post 95 frames just don't look right to me. I loved my 94 to bits but it was stolen in 97. When I came to replace it, I saw what they'd done and went elsewhere. :(

cherrybomb":g1m0ig5r said:
Yup them's the babies gusset under the top tube, but mine was ink blue. Lovely she was too.
:?

Yup...top tube gusset was bad ass...and the crazy thick and full wrap welded dropouts...short inboard seat stay mitering and long outboard. Bad ass.

cherrybomb":g1m0ig5r said:
The post 95 frames just don't look right to me. :(
Nope...too bad too, The Zaskar was a classic until they "improved" it. :cry:

Mine was purple...but that one in the pics aint it...mines long gone. :cry:

Ahh memories...you guys are gonna make me go shopping again...

:D

Attachments

• 7a4c_3.jpg
    7a4c_3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,008
utahdog2003":262v4lei said:
Nope...too bad too, The Zaskar was a classic until they "improved" it. :cry:

Mine was purple...but that one in the pics aint it...mines long gone. :cry:

Ahh memories...you guys are gonna make me go shopping again...

:D

this should help - later decals but October 1993 frame

Attachments

• DSC01093.JPG
    DSC01093.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 992
my frame is for sure a 6061-t6. and i know it's a 96 frame. that's what i know. i will look for a Zaskar decal set.

Attachments

• Zaskar 01.JPG
    Zaskar 01.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 970
  • Zaskar 05.JPG
    Zaskar 05.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 968
  • Zaskar 06.JPG
    Zaskar 06.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 968
  • Zaskar 03.JPG
    Zaskar 03.JPG