Disc Drives

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Always wanted a disc drive for the Womba Womba noise they make! :LOL:

I may have the option to buy one soon, a few of you guy's have them so go-on, what are they like, what are the pros and cons are they just show no go or do they make a difference?

Thanks a lot.

disc.jpg

Many of the ballers here have em. Jez has one on his Trimble. IMO [and I could probably start a whole thread on this], its the single coolest piece of retro equipment from what I call "the golden era" of mountain bikes.

Anyone have any others?

weird... what makes it better/worse, i guess im wondering how it differs from a regular drive system... :?:

what is the advantage to one of them? looks like it would be a pain if one of those "spokes" where to break....

theres no advantage to them. they flex, they're heavier, massively susceptible to wind & very easy to break. I've broken 2 of them. If you only ever rode them on smooth roads they'd still break. the alu disc on the outside edge of the sheet rubs against the kevlar cord on the other side slowly wearing through the cord till it thins & the wheel looses all tension. Any decent rock will kill them instantly (if you live in a rocky area you'll know the dents onthe underside of your downtube from stones pinging off your front wheel, well they'll kill a disc drive ;)

take a close look at tomacs bikes. his wheels were numbered (circled numbers near the rim), when they reached 20 (IE 20rides) they were binned.

deffo 1 of the greatest marketing retro ploys ever :LOL:

(as a side note despite the fact they're utterly sh,te for actual riding I really miss the noise... & you havent heard a disk drive until you've heard 1 with a 91 hugi hub installed.. If you remeber Ned overend at the grundig world cup in plymouth you'll know what I'm talking about :cool:

scant i echo that, they are rubbish really, but why do we still love em?
Go on then, own up who here's got one and post pics please, lets see how many we can muster, cheers.
I'll add one mint blue jobbie to the list when I get home to my desktop.
cheers alan.

ti-fat-man":frvlbn0s said:
scant i echo that, they are rubbish really, but why do we still love em?
Go on then, own up who here's got one and post pics please, lets see how many we can muster, cheers.
I'll add one mint blue jobbie to the list when I get home to my desktop.
cheers alan.

<cough http://www.yetifan.com/scantfro3ws.jpg cough>

I guess we love em coz they look different, if not slightly cool & deffo sounded cool. I guess we also associate them with cool riders from the past, tomac, ned, herbold, cully, etc etc etc..

Back