Bryan Warnett track bike info

Re:

Hi all
I seem to recall reading that one of Bryan's bikes was ridden in an international event - possibly Commonwealth Games - possibly ridden by a medal-winner.
I've trawled this site and the rest of the interweb but can't seem to find anything.
Does anyone have any info on this or other success his frames might have had?
jon

Jon,

The only person that would have and I am more than confident about this, ridden Bryan's bikes internationally was myself. As much as I would have loved it to be the case, whilst riding in a number of international events, I never rode a Commonwealth so never won any medals. I can provide a list of international events for you if needbe and both include Track & Road events.

Welshkiwi

WelshKiwi":2d15779i said:
Excellent News Billybach. No unfortunately, I was only back in Cardiff a 6/7 months ago as my Dad passed-away (BTW, he loved how this bike looked) so, not planning on being back until next year now, hopefully for 'Wales in a Day' where I hope to ride this bike.

Yes, she's certainly going to be a big job but one that's worth it. Been doing a lot of 'favour' asking and nothing is impossible so hopefully all should go OK. It will cost a fair bit but worth it. The frame and forks will probably be stripped in the UK, my Bro will arrange that, from there, once the frame is cleaned, we'll be able to asses the damages better. Hoping that the Chrome has largely taken the impact on the forks and a good strip back, dip and re-chrome so see them OK. There may be some 'pit' marks that we can't do much about but let's have a go hey? One thing that would make the job easier is if there are some of Bryan's transfer kits around still, I'll ask Mum to pop down and see how Bryan is as well as bring him up to speed with what's been happening, he may have some transfer kits.

This will be a classy restoration of the frame and it will be back to its former glories within a few months. I'll have to start a New-Thread on here to post Pictures to so all can see the progress.

OK, Mum or my Bro can collect from you fairly promptly, you just need to tell me where and a contact number and name (best do that in a private message to me on here) or to the email welshkiwisinnz@gmail.com

Thanks again and hear from you soon.

Welshkiwi

Billy, I just need you to contact me with the collection address and I can sort this?

Thanks, Welshkiwi

Hi All, I've just caught this thread this evening and I'd like to pass on my contact with Bryan. As a Cardiff Byways club member in the early 70's my port of call would of course have been: "C.W. Alexander, James St, Docks, Cardiff". In the 80's when Charlie's wheel had spun full circle but looking for a frame to be re-sprayed I was recommended to Bryan, who produced an exquisite flam purple piece. I remember him proudly telling me that he had just been approved by Reynolds to build 853 tubing. At the time I was living in Conway Rd just around the corner from Bryan. Sadly that bike was stolen around 1985, but I still remember every 1/10" of it. Fast forward to 2010: I and my partners opened The Bike Shed on Cathedral Rd. Cardiff. Bryan had suffered a stroke several years before and was confined to a wheelchair, we've looked after his chair punctures and tyre inflations since then. When Bryan and his wife first brought his chair in for a fix, obviously he did not know me, why should he? I was just someone who'd brought a frame in 30 years ago for a spray. I said "Bryan, you did an ace paint job 30 years since, but it got stolen" I introduced him to the shop crew as the best frame builder in Wales. That was it, he knew he was acknowledged and he beamed.

Hey, great to hear. And, if you see Bryan anytime soon let him know about the forum and what's happening to honour his work. I'll certainly call in when I'm next back in Cardiff and I know my mum is calling on him soon as well. I'll also drop by and introduce myself to the Bike Shed. Also, good to hear your recollections of Tubbys old shop in James St, I used to dread going there but where else would a cycle shop be open till midnight !

WelshKiwi

Hi everyone, this is really gathering steam. I thought I'd take a chance to recap.

For anyone interested, WelshKiwi and I have been talking offline about putting some kind of story together around all this.

And Joe Careless, who started the thread has offered up some extremely useful info too.

To recap, I'm Bryan's nephew and so I have a very personal interest in this - especially as my mother and Bryan lost contact many years ago. He's also lost contact with his daughter - not for me to comment and all too sad to go into on this forum.

I'm also a film-maker and one of the things I'd like to do - before it's too late - is to record this story for posterity. No need for a big glitzy BBC production, but there are so many interesting layers, people, stories and history, it would be a shame to waste.

I'm considering crowd-funding in order to get the expenses together to make a short film. Can anyone give me an idea of the kind of response I could expect from the cycling community?

I would also approach The Welsh Sports Association, Welsh Arts Council. And I'm pretty sure we could find a commercial brand that would be interested in sponsoring the story too.

I've drawn up an initial draft treatment based on WelshKiwi's story. It's a work-in-progress and a little confidential at this stage, but I'll share it with anyone who's seriously interested.

A short film could be accompanied by print articles etc. A book about the history of fixed gear bikes, frames, riders, frame-makers etc would be a great project for someone.

I've filmed a fair bit of cycling myself - I've been working with the cycle-clothing brand Rapha for the past few years and have made a couple of films for their Rapha Continental series. Here are links to the films on my own website. You can also find the features on the Rapha site, if anyone's interested:

Sapa: http://www.thedeck.tv/news/2014/6/30/ra ... ental-sapa

Java: http://www.thedeck.tv/news/2014/11/26/r ... ental-java

A third, The Rapha Gentlemen's Race in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia is being released early December. I'll be sure to share it here when it comes out.

I've been based in Singapore and Hong Kong for many years but I return to UK every year or so. I'd like to get back in touch with my uncle and share all the amazing things people have written about him here. My Mum idolised her big brother as a kid and has been in tears reading the forum. To acknowledge him in a film before it's too late would be something quite special for me.

I'll be happy to start a new thread on this if anyone thinks it's gone off topic.

Thanks again everyone for your input, information and kind words about Bryan.

Jon

Btw, Welshkiwi, the rider I was thinking of was Clare Greenwood, who Joe referred to early on in this conversation.
Does anyone know her?
j

Yes Jon, I knew Clare, I beleive she's still around and still riding in South wales. she certainly was a Com Games rider and may have at one point, rode on one of Bryan's frames but didn't think she rode one of Bryan's frames for long? Not sure, but she wouldn't be yo difficult to track down.

Re:

Sally Hodges, who represented Britain at the Seoul Olympics and rode many international track and road events, had frames built for her by Bryan. Until recently there was a big black and white signed photo of her in Bryans' shop in Pontcanna St. shot while racing.

Sorry, but rereading my last post,that should be Sally Hodge, and as far as I know she is still thriving and not "shot while racing".

Back