'90 GT Tequesta Nimbus.....

Re: Re:

Brewza":b2b5fc4d said:
This Tequesta model was my first Mtb purchased new back in the day. Brings back some memories :D :D :D

Cool - the whole reason I got into Retrobikes was trying to find my first proper MTB (Marin Bear Valley) from 1993. Is this bringing back particularly good memories? ;)

retrobikeguy":b2b5fc4d said:
:cool: Great colourway

RBG

It was the colourway that caught my eye - loving it, just needs a bit of tlc with the polish & touch-up paint!

MADJEZ":b2b5fc4d said:
I recognise that first photo !
Great price.

It looks like a 20" frame, I'm riding around on a 99 which is also 20" and I'm 6'. Great for on the
road tho I prefer an 18" for seriously bumpy stuff.

Lucky for you my car blew up at the start of the month or I'd have been all over that :(

Enjoy !

Haha....I did wonder if anyone else was looking at it - was surprised to be the only bidder at the final few seconds (didn't expect to win it that's for sure).

SIMONFREESE":b2b5fc4d said:
Looking good Mart... I hope you have it with you on the 10th! I will be letting the side down with my modern steed :oops:

Great photos by the way!

Cheers Simon, You planning on getting another Retrobike anytime soon then? Hopefully I'll have time between now and the 10th to get the Tequesta serviced and rideable, otherwise I'll be back on the Pine Mountain (or the IFT). The house resto is taking priority at the mo though.....

Re:

Early start this morning for a retrobike ride with SIMONFREESE - who rocked up at mine at 6am on a very tidy & clean looking Trek 830 Antelope.

Was in two minds last night with threats of the remnants of hurricane Bertha supposedly hitting the South East - I was woken at about 3am by the rain battering down - we beat the storms on the ride, but didn't beat the Essex mud. Claggy!

I'd stayed up late trying to do the bare minimum on the GT to get it ridable and a quick spin round the block at 5.30am was enough for me to (possibly naively) take it on the ride. The first ride out on it since I bought it in fact.

Rode to Belfairs woods for a ride around the tracks and then down to Hadleigh Castle, along to the Arches on the seafront for a coffee (cheers Simon!) and then a Southend seafront ride to Shoebury Garrison & back.

Bike went well for a first ride out with minimal attention. Got a bulge in the rear tyre which felt a bit weird and I need to look at the gear adjustment - 2 positions on the rear derailleur are a bit slippy and don't engage quite as well as they should. Rear hub is a bit grumbly too and there's the stuck seatpost issue (although with the bodgy seatpost extension the setup suits me really well).

It definitely needs a strip down/clean now! ;)

Great write up! Had a very enjoyable morning riding through the mud, always a pleasure. The photos above show to me what retro biking is all about, a couple of bikes, purchased for next to nothong , being used to go off road and have some fun with friends. Despite all the mud, we both made it back with no real problems. The GT is a big beast of a bike that looks like it will ride through anything, despite the u brake!

Looking forward to the next outing :)

Dragged the Tequesta out of the shed on Saturday afternoon in order to re-commission ready for a ride out with SIMONFREESE on Sunday morning. For some reason I always seem to leave things to the last minute with regards to getting my bikes ready for rides....so I spent a few hours on Saturday evening replacing the rear derailleur for a better example, replaced a gear cable outer that had disintigrated and tightened up a loose rear hub.

Unfortunately our ride was cut short due to a drawing pin in tyre incident.....but it's made me focus on getting the Tequesta properly sorted for our re-arranged ride in a few weeks time.

So....

Bottom bracket has been stripped out and flushed and re-greased. I had planned on replacing with a cartridge bb that I have spare but the spindle is really long! About 134mm, and I can't find a sealed unit to suit, so I guess I'm stuck with the cup/cone arrangement.

I've also stripped the brakes off the bike so I can clean up and restore. They're looking a little tired and could do with a re-fresh.

Stripped the arms down, prepped and painted with black stove paint. Love the finish that this stuff gives - satin black and quite tough too.

Ready to re-fit, with new bolts - just waiting for new brake pads to arrive....

Also swapped over the rear derailleur.....needs a bit of masking/spraying to tidy up tho' ;)

Trying to avoid a complete stripdown / rebuild at this point as I really enjoy riding this bike - going to treat this as a rolling restoration! :)

Part of the strip down and sort out is the rear freehub/cassette

I dismantled the cones, removed the bearings and the cassette/freehub fell off!

Inside the hub there is a threaded tube floating around which I assume the freehub used to be threaded onto!

So - I'm left with the following:

So - question - how do I separate the freehub from the cassette?

It's a Suntour 7 speed but not sure on the model. There are 2 notches which accept a tool but this sits under the bearings - I'm guessing you wouldn't need to disturb the bearings to remove the cassette?

The back of the cassette looks to be sitting on splines suggesting it slides on - so how do I get it off?

Does the first cog screw on? It's missing a tooth suggesting that maybe it's been struck with something heavy to try and remove.....

sherlylock":38rkxj3p said:
Part of the strip down and sort out is the rear freehub/cassette

I dismantled the cones, removed the bearings and the cassette/freehub fell off!

Inside the hub there is a threaded tube floating around which I assume the freehub used to be threaded onto!

So - I'm left with the following:

So - question - how do I separate the freehub from the cassette?

It's a Suntour 7 speed but not sure on the model. There are 2 notches which accept a tool but this sits under the bearings - I'm guessing you wouldn't need to disturb the bearings to remove the cassette?

The back of the cassette looks to be sitting on splines suggesting it slides on - so how do I get it off?

Does the first cog screw on? It's missing a tooth suggesting that maybe it's been struck with something heavy to try and remove.....

I have one of these and they can be a pain to strip but it is possible. The threaded tube screw into the freehub body in similar way to shimano, only from inside the hub, so refit it with a 10mm allen key and tighten fully. Now you need 2 chain whips put one on gear 2 and one on gear 7 (this acts as the lock ring) and undo in the normal way, after much swearing/cut hands/broken chain whips the lock ring should undo and unscrew fully, allowing you to slide the rest of the cassette off.

Carl.

Nice one - cheers Carl. I assume that the two notches on the bearing surface is to accept a tool that allows you to hold the freehub still while tightening the tube using the 10mm allen key?

Reckon this'll be a complete PITA to remove! I also think that someone has been here before to try and fix which is why I'm missing a tooth on the small cog! ;)

Back