Merckx MXL - help i.d frame?

Yes. That's one of my concerns - all of the max/mxl tubed merckx' frames I've seen have the tubes as per your link. However, the earlier post showing 1992 max tubed corsa extra seems to be the other ( normal? ) way round. Mmmm.! They are great, tho' aren't they?!?!?!?

:(

Old Ned":2lv0ujt2 said:
The track frame appears to have the same tube orientation as my Scott.
That's interesting. Max frames I've seen have the top tube ovalised "tall" at the head tube, and "broad" at the seat tube, like the Kona Explosif, which had that ugly mitre at the seat cluster caused by the top tube being wider than the seat tube there.

malley":27yjpfot said:
Yes. That's one of my concerns - all of the max/mxl tubed merckx' frames I've seen have the tubes as per your link. However, the earlier post showing 1992 max tubed corsa extra seems to be the other ( normal? ) way round.
Here's Anvil Bikeworks' article on Max:

http://www.anvilbikes.com/?news_ID=18&catID=3

The real MAX, which is probably most famous as the tubes used to construct the Merckx MX Leader (except the MXL’s top tube and seat stays which weren't the original MAX shape)...
and then:

The real MAX top tube is based on a 31.7mm tube and biaxially ovalized to 37.5x26mm with a .7/.4/.7mm butting profile. When installed on a frame, the 37.5mm axis followed the long axis of the head tube yet traverses the seat tube, meaning it is significantly wider than the seat tube, which creates either a really weird looking lug or a whole bunch of cool opportunities depending on your point of view.
So a Corsa Extra built with MAX uses the standard Max top tube, but the MX Leader has a different top tube (and seat lug) with a different orientation of the oval.

I understood it was Merckx himself who came with the idea to put the tt in the opposite direction as his legs sometimes touched the tube in conventional configuration.

Thanks for all of this. Really useful info. It's all making me think I NEED it! Last piece of the jigsaw would be to confirm dimensions/fit. Any resources on the web? Frame numbers for specific years etc, etc? Also - what was the really cool stem the motorola boys used? Was it the cinelli GRAMMO?

Finally, would anyone know where to get a first class motorola team paint job? In the UK? :D

Old Ned":d0emw9ur said:
The track frame appears to have the same tube orientation as my Scott. My frame is lugless (as most MTB's are) but, according to Framebuilding Supplies, the special Max lugs are no longer available which is a pity.

Sorry I've got this wrong. I've had another look and it is the opposite to my Scott! Like I've said before, it's 'tall' at the front and 'flat' at the back.

Many apologies for the confusion :oops: :oops:

Doh! I blew it. Haggled too hard over postage costs! Thought it was in the bag and got cocky - outbid by someone who just paid more. S**T! That will teach me. Thanks to all - I want one more than ever now!

Latest posts

Back