89 Pine Mountain

agaskew

Dirt Disciple
Purchased on New Years Eve 1989, my only bike.

This used to be light grey with neon orange forks and stem.
It also had a U-brake at the bottom bracket once, but when the frame was resprayed purple (what else?) in 93 I had the rear canti pegs put on.

Frame, wheels, shifters, derailleurs, seatpost, front brakes are all original. Other bits perished or wore out over the years, notably the oval Biopace chainrings ugh.

What you can't really see is the rusty bits that need replacing!

Also in the pic are Shimano M100 SPD shoes that, yes I still wear. I don't use the SPDs themselves though - can't get along with them so they're in a box somewhere.

Frame: Marin
Fork: Marin
Headset: Ritchey
Stem: Ritchey
Handlebar: X-lite 3-degree
Grips: Grab-On
Barends: No Name
Brakes: Deore
Brake Pads: Deore
Brake Cables: No Name
Cantilever cable hangers: Yes, got some
Brake Levers: Deore
Shifters: Deore Thumb
Front Derailleur: Deore
Rear Derailleur: Deore
Derailleur Cables: Definitley
Cassette: Shimano HG
Chain: Shimano HG
Cranks: Suntour Cheapo
Crank Bolts: Very Useful
Chainrings: Suntour Cheapo
Chainring bolts: Looks like there are some, yes
Bottom Bracket: Shimao Selaed
Pedals: Deore
Hub Skewers: ohh, pretty
Rims: Araya RM-20
Hubs: Deore
Nipples: But why do men have these?
Spokes: Shiny
Tyres: Specialized
Tubes: specialized
Saddle: Bike Hut NutCrusher
Seatpost: SR
Seatpost Binder: SR
Weight: Half a Ton

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,195
You aren't kidding about the chainset. I was desperate...

The rings are rivetted on, so the sooner I wear them all out and can replace the lot, the better.

Awesome i love the colour! :cool:

Good for you hanging onto the bike through the fashions, its easy to get bored of stuff you've owned for ages.

I gave my 'pub bike' early 90's marin a helping of satin matt black during a mild rebuild a few years ago, then sold it on, no regrets as no emotional attachment to the once old tired thing but it was a great bike. :)

agaskew":1ho3rz19 said:
You aren't kidding about the chainset. I was desperate...

The rings are rivetted on, so the sooner I wear them all out and can replace the lot, the better.

Oh flip then they are steel rings and will probably last until 2036. It probably weighs more than the frame :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not steel, in fact judging by the wear rate they are made of grey cheese - same stuff they use for car exhausts these days.

The photo hides all the grot and paint scratches quite well. For some reason my wife isn't keen on me doing the rebuild in the kitchen like last time when I was single...strange creatures these women.

Oh, well that's a relief that they'll wear out soon.

Have you ever tried dishwashing bits...works a treat at getting grease off... :twisted:

89's with the light grey gloss paint and neon orange were cantilever specced. At least mine was. Maybe a mid year revision (though I thought I had an early one)? Is it an American market Marin?

It was reduced in a sale on Dec 31st 1989. Not sure if US spec or what, but definitely gloss grey with rear U brake. Who knows what they were up to eh?

Dishwasher.....hmmmm.... :mrgreen:

Back