dating and model type campag gear

pistol13

Retro Guru
Ok guys, Shimano have serial no which makes dating and model type a piece of cake. So what gives with campag gear. I have a mech which says campagnolo. Thats it!!! Also hubs. Just campagnolo. Am i missing something. Cheers

You date campag by era, not by year! It's quality art not disposable junk like some manufacturers.. ;)

Vintage era 1950-1984
Classic era 1985 - 1994
Modern era 1995 -today

http://www.campybike.com/

pistol13":23pk2me7 said:
Ok guys, Shimano have serial no which makes dating and model type a piece of cake. So what gives with campag gear. I have a mech which says campagnolo. Thats it!!! Also hubs. Just campagnolo. Am i missing something. Cheers
In the "classic" period, Campag mechs often had a date stamp on the upper knuckle, and hubs usually had the year of manufacture stamped on the inner face of the cone locknut. But for quite a while in the late eighties and early nineties there was usually no identifying mark at all, and several of the groups were very similar in appearance. Even when parts had a date code, it's not always clear how to interpret it - C-Record cranks being an example.

pete_mcc":23v5k1z9 said:
You date campag by era, not by year! It's quality art not disposable junk like some manufacturers.. ;)
Vintage era 1950-1984
Classic era 1985 - 1994
Modern era 1995 -today

Haha, I suppose it depends on how old you are, but it's:

Vintage era 1950-1967
Classic era 1967 - 1985
Modern era 1986 - pre-Ergo
Current era: the ergo stuff

That is typical, most of the stuff i have, i would guess is late 80's. Oh well my hubs must be super record then :D

80's Super Record says it on the hubs, and the chainset, at least my stuff does.

In fact all my rear mechs say what model thery are too - but none of the Campag fronts do.

As far as I know, Super/Nuovo Record hubs were only marked as "Record" (the ones with the black oil hole cover clip). And Super/Nuovo Record cranks were only ever marked as "Strada" or "Pista".

If it's late 80s, it would not be Super Record as 1985 was the lsat year for Super/Nuovo Record, although the stuff was still available for a few years after that.

Back