My Pace rc16 forks are home at last

One of the things I love about this, as well as the amazing forks obviously, is actually building a proper bike for your child. For various (wife related) reasons my kid's first bikes were cheap and nasty plastic shim bearinged BSOs and they didn't ride well at all - took a huge amount of tinkering to get them to brake properly, steering was dodgy and so on. And really the kids were never that interested. When it came time to buy their second bikes I took a lot of time and effort to source a Giant, like you have here, for my daughter and an Isla bike for my son. Just like yours they are proper bikes with nice components, and it shows in the ride quality - and the kids love them and their riding has come on leaps and bounds.

Proper stuff to enthuse the little 'uns, that's what I say - lovely bike, good on you mate. :)

A friend of mine has some shortened bouncy pace forks which run a 24" wheel, they are very smart indeed. I may look into getting a pair done when mini me grows a bit.

Gorgeous bike :D

petitpal":37e3rree said:
One of the things I love about this, as well as the amazing forks obviously, is actually building a proper bike for your child. For various (wife related) reasons my kid's first bikes were cheap and nasty plastic shim bearinged BSOs and they didn't ride well at all - took a huge amount of tinkering to get them to brake properly, steering was dodgy and so on. And really the kids were never that interested. When it came time to buy their second bikes I took a lot of time and effort to source a Giant, like you have here, for my daughter and an Isla bike for my son. Just like yours they are proper bikes with nice components, and it shows in the ride quality - and the kids love them and their riding has come on leaps and bounds.

Proper stuff to enthuse the little 'uns, that's what I say - lovely bike, good on you mate. :)

I only wish I had the funds to make my 8 year old son's next bike an Islabike he'd love it, but funds are not there even for a second hand one :(

but he does look silly on his tiny Barracuda bike he has.

Alison

Isaac_AG":2qnlizkq said:
Gorgeous bike :D

petitpal":2qnlizkq said:

I only wish I had the funds to make my 8 year old son's next bike an Islabike he'd love it, but funds are not there even for a second hand one :(

but he does look silly on his tiny Barracuda bike he has.

Alison

Sorry for minor thread hijack btw: managed to barter mine down to £100 on ebay. Had to save a lot first but seriously worth it (it's a CNOC 16 btw) - lovely little bike. Really nice design, well built and well spec'd (I was bunny hopping mine - erm, his - round the office kitchen the day I picked it up. :D )

I've got a similar set up for my son.

Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/pZkccb by FactoryJackson, on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/pK3ht3 by FactoryJackson, on Flickr

Rough spec:

Kona Shred 2-0 frame
Shivver single crown forks reduced down at about 50mm travel. Converted to dual crown.
Hope brakes (though 225mm disc is probably overkill !!!)
Hope front hub
XT rear hub
Thomson post
XTR mech
XT Shifter
Raceface Cranks
Ethirteen Chain device
Fizik Saddle
Easton bars

Is this overkill for a 6 year old? ;)

Chris

Factory Jackson":3ocv2z2n said:
Is this overkill for a 6 year old? ;)

Chris
Yes - keep the pics coming :)

Out if interest how is that rear caliper attached? It looks a million miles away from the chain stay.

And is that 50mm travel mod a custom job?

Back