Clive Stuart Restoration

I do like that Brian Rourke style seat cluster. A sort of happy medium between shot-in and wraparound.

I had a bit of a surf off this thread, with it's assorted links and pics. It was a trip. A trip to some vaguely familiar scenes, although a few years before my time and a bit further anti-clockwise around the old London north/south circular than my erstwhile haunts.

Incidentally, anyone who's still got a stack of old International Cycle Sport mags (mine are long gone) may be in a position to fill a few vacant slots over at these pages:
http://www.internationalcyclesport.com/ ... azine.html

Apologies for trawling up an old thread on my 1st post.

I have an old Clive Stuart which has been in the family for 30+ years and I'm thinking of doing a refinish in the yellow race team colour. Does anyone have any photos of team bikes or replicas that I could use to get the refinish as near as possible to original team bike spec?

Thanks in advance.

dhd

Thanks - I picked these up earlier. Some great history in there.

I just wondered whether the team bikes were finished differently to the yellow painted customer frames.

My CS has a fastback rear stay with integral seatpin clamp bolt. I haven't seen any others with this arrangement in the photos, except perhaps the bronze colour bike with the yellow panels? Have you seen any others with this set-up?

The frame number on mine is 414 71 which I'm assuming is a 1971 build. It's 531DB with Campag dropouts and headset. Would be great to find out some of its provenance.

If you're wanting the correct shade of yellow then possibly contact Brian Rourke who may know a BS or RAL reference for it. They do their own spraying at the shop so may even have resprayed a CS or two in the past. I'm sure it was the same yellow for team and customer bikes.

He may also be able to help with the numbering?

I think the full wrap over seat stays may have originated with Roger Kowalski who trained Paul Washington who then trained Jason Rourke.

Re:

I've seen some Alec Bird built frames that use a fast back configuration. As I discovered, Clive Stuart frames were built by a number of different builders. You might want to compare yours to known Bird frames for clues. How about posting a picture of yours.

Re: Re:

curyam":ba4dmlqt said:
I've seen some Alec Bird built frames that use a fast back configuration. As I discovered, Clive Stuart frames were built by a number of different builders. You might want to compare yours to known Bird frames for clues. How about posting a picture of yours.
Bill Gray made plenty of fast-back frames so if the frame in question is an ex-London shop CS then it may well be one of Bill's.

We need a photo!

North South Framebuilder Divide? Nah, London rules.

A few of my thoughts as I knew many of the South London/Surrey builders BitD, I'll wager the wrapover seatstay appeared first on Holdsworth frames, then widely copied.

Alec Bird, Ken Bird's Brother built many of the Clive Stuart team frames, and the seat stay arrangement (e.g the integral allen bolt clamp) is a signature of many of the Bird frames, as are the drilled lugs.

The earliest frames I've seen featuring drilled lugs are Roberts (Chas Roberts senior), and apart from featuring on Bird frames they also appear on early Ron Coopers (both my Ken Bird -Alec Bird built - and my Ron Cooper have drilled lugs), my Ken Bird has the fastback stay too.

Ken Bird is in the Herne Hill photo. Ken passed away a number of years ago and Alec is still around (I do see him occasionally at jumbles). I have quite a large catalogue of Bird frames; and the larger percentage were built by Alec (this too was the case with Clive Stuart frames).

Could add more but I'm worried about your attention span!

Rk.

Re:

Great info - thanks very much. The frame doesn't have drilled lugs, but the rest of it would suggest an Alec Bird build.
I'll post some photos tonight.

Re:

It has the same lugs, fork crown and fastback seatstays as this 1970 CS cyclocross frame offered for sale by Hilary Stone:

http://hilarystone.com/images/sale%20im ... -Cross.jpg

Clive-Stuart-Cross.jpg

Back