Retrobike Meet NW England - September 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
As PM'd to Neil:

Had to check dates.

Really, really up for the peaks but unfortunately I'm gonna be rolling barrels round a mile-long course at some beer festival somewhere...!

Bitch timing!!

We could maybe do a 'mid-year' one round Feb. time rather than waiting another year till the next one?

If this ride is as successful as the last, maybe we could have a re-run in six months rather than the seemingly obligatory once-a-year thing...?

Just a thought. Know that everyone's all busy and grown up now and it's not as easy as when we were kids...

sounds good to me, as I'm really annoyed I can't come. However there's usually another event round March time anyway, Cannock or suchlike. But I'd be up for another Peak one.

Trials and Errors

Preparations build up pace for the Peaks ride, as your tour guide went about his pre-route selection ride today. Sadly Max is down some Norwegian mineshaft again, so the jaunt had to be made alone.

Suffice to say that this year's trail builds on the lessons learnt from last year's ride - being more compact, with less hike-a-bike (now down to 2 - but less than 7 minutes in total), with greater views and longer descents. All the ascents are picked to be rideable by me - so that means anyone can do it - although some are quite long, requiring a modicum of pacing and a decent granny ring! There is even some Lewis Collins road work on the route, which should stop Ed floating off to find his own safe tarmac this year...

Due to the slow uptake of interest this year, I thought I would reveal a couple of new features earlier than intended. Firstly there will be a 'King of the Mountains' competition and prize, centred around a nadgery if not gnarly climb. Based on a longest drive golf competition, each rider tries the ascent, stopping where they first dab and waiting for the next rider to try and beat their achievement.

Secondly there will be prizes for a number of inevitable events and mishaps that will occur during the day, namely:

> The Hilts Trophy for the Majorest Mechanical
> The Lantern Rouge Trophy for Worst Ride of the Day - voted secretly by all participating riders
> The Best Turned Out Bike and Rider Award - again voted by the riders
> The Own the Hill Award for best overall effort shown on the grinds - Captain's discretion

and of course, the biggy - the second Annual Retrobike Pub Quiz - can JV hang on to his crown for another year?

NB. As we are riding earlier in the year and all contained (hopefully) in the same digs, there will be a Sunday ride option - a two hour hair of the dog affair, aiming to finish by 1pm for lunch and then carriages... ;-)

Here are some photos of today's ride - those of you familiar with the area may pick up clues as to the route...

Capt K

PS. Heathy's sheep harem were still waiting for his return - pucker up kid! :oops:

Attachments

• Towards the Cross.jpg
    Towards the Cross.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Quarry.jpg
    Quarry.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Mine.jpg
    Mine.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Planning.jpg
    Planning.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,408

More from the probable route...

Capt K

Attachments

• Back to Jaggers.jpg
    Back to Jaggers.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,407
  • Red Door.jpg
    Red Door.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,407
You rode UP Pindale? Well done! "Hope" you enjoyed it.

I met you at Hope Cross where we talked about the mud at this year's Mayhem.

Would it definitely be OK for me to join you on this ride? My bike's not old - it will be a rigid singlespeed Kona... Might give some of you a laugh.

Cheers, Simon

Re: Trials and Errors

mrkawasaki":26zbep0k said:
Firstly there will be a 'King of the Mountains' competition and prize, centred around a nadgery if not gnarly climb.

Secondly there will be prizes for a number of inevitable events and mishaps that will occur during the day, namely:
> The Own the Hill Award for best overall effort shown on the grinds - Captain's discretion

I do love a good hillclimb ;)

Semer Hill, nr Hadleigh (CTT Course No. BHC/1) - Hillclimb (500yds)
START at post opposite entrance to Semer Church. FINISH at gap in hedge just over brow of hill on left.

Course Record: Jonathan Lee (CC Breckland) 48.9 seconds (1996)

Klein-Mad-Chris":2y7rf5br said:
all riding Retro i hope?

I'm tempted to bring the Avalanche :oops: Only cus I prefer climbing on a hardtail! Its got retro bits on it though......stem, bar, cranks, tyres and a Flite ;)

If theres uproar I'll bring the RTS....... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back