FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY - *Pg 1 for updates/pics*

With my version you would still have to enlarge a few 6mm holes to 8mm with a drill and cut your old nylon top hat washers, you might as well do the rest anyway, its an easy mod, the most pita part of my method was skimming down the tube so it was a great fit inside the bearing.

MAybe im just getting old, or maybe I need a new metal file, its worked wonders for the bike though.

right, so i've just gone and ordered the main pivot bearing kit from BETD components.
i knew i had to bite the bullet on that one.
im still keen to make my own needle bearing kit for the a links and top of seat stay and shock link, but my patience are wearing thin trying to get the bushes sorted... :( this endevour may turn out fruitless after all...

just also ordered myself some 688 2RS bearings (16mm OD, 8 ID, 5mm width) for my A-Links (or drop out links if you prefer).
im actually going to buy the other 2 BETD sets for seat stay and shock link as i dont want to be drilling my frame.
Ive given up trying to get bushes sorted for this now.
So as it stands now, my currne tset up will consist of the following:

Main Pivot needle bearing set up from BETD - £53 (ordered)
Seat Stay needle bearing set up from BETD - £35
Shock link needle bearing set up from BETD - £35
688 2RS bearing setup a per S-Ms efforts. - £5 with existing bushes and amended nylon top hat washers. (ordered)

all in £128 :'(

THIS IS FAR MORE THAN I INTENDED TO SPEND. but im bored of finding ways to do this and i just want to get the bike sorted and ridden :twisted:

if i ever do find a way of making those bushes, i'll probably get a load done and sell off some set ups to make some of my money back ;)

just sorted my A-links using the 688 2RS bearings with resized top hat washers - i left a few mm of the top hat part to sit up against the bearings on either side to help keep them centred-ish.
all fitted back up nicely.
still waiting for my main pivot bearing...been nearly a week now....not sure what to expect seeing as every time i phone them, i never get through to anyone......hmmmm. will give them until tuesday i think.

I emailed them about the main pivot as it does not come with any fitting instructions, i was unsure which way around the washers and O rings are supposed to go.

I never got a reply, so i just put it all in as i thought fit, and lashed a hell of a lot of grease into everything.

Re:

Interesting thread. I love stuff like this...

If I may, I have a suggestion for something that you may have missed in your investigations.

I've found that Igus iglidur polymer bushings and bearings are really good. Self lubricating, capable of withstanding huge loads and far better at the withstanding small angular displacements in a suspension system than roller or ball bearings. Plus they are infinitely better at dealing with the mud grit and general shite, so they last ages and, (bonus) they are really light.

In materials capability and resilience terms, they are a order of magnitude better than the old nylon bushes you used to get in bikes like the FSR's or my old giant ATX, which i imagine is going to have to go through a similar re-engineering process at some time soon.

I was put into them by a friend of mine who develops high end low volume cars, but Turner bikes use them in thier dw link rear suspensions to great acclaim, and I've had great success in using them in an industrial environment to replace OE fit roller bearings in valve actuators on a gas turbine.

Igus have a massive range of sizes in stock, they cost less than a decent quality roller bearing, and if they don't have what you want, you can either buy the stock and machine your own, or they can make them to your size for very affordable prices.

These things tick every box for mountain bike suspension systems. Light, free running, zero maintenance, small sizes, and capable of withstanding all the crap that gets into rollers and buggers them up in a few hours of use.

http://www.igus.co.uk/iglidur

right, so it turns out that the BETD main pivot upgrade bearing kit does NOT fit on to my FSR Elite (99). i was thinking that the main pivot setup didnt differ between this model and the previous years, but, unless im mistaken, it dont fit.
So im pretty miffed.

What part does not fit?

Just had a thought, my bike has the big thick/straight chain stays, they are the same as my 98 ground control, not sure if they were changed or came like that as standered, alot of pics I see online show the chain stays with the version that bends down?

S-M":3qaztwv4 said:
What part does not fit?

Just had a thought, my bike has the big thick/straight chain stays, they are the same as my 98 ground control, not sure if they were changed or came like that as standered, alot of pics I see online show the chain stays with the version that bends down?

see here :) : viewtopic.php?f=41&t=310493

Back