So which Raleigh MTB is worth having? (Activators n/a)

Wright_payne":qd17a3fm said:
I have a Max Cromo 2 from 94/95 which I've owned from new. Spent most of its life in the shed and only non-original parts are the v brakes. I binned the canti's a while ago when clearing out the shed oops!

Just in the process of making it into a hybrid style bike with 1.95 city jets and full SKS cromoplastic mudguards.

Working on it at the weekend made me realise what a nice bike it is - really light considering it has an oversize frame and nice components. I was surprised to find to has a cassette type freewheel.

What colour is it? I have one from the same time (94 I Think). had it from new. It was a dark metallic grey. Ran a set of Ballistics on it until I gave it to my dad. he replaced the original rigid fork and threw the Ballistics out!! :facepalm: it withstood a ton of abuse from me and my dad left it outside for about 6 years.

frame was chipped and rusting in a number of places, and the decals were long gone, so I recently had it power coated, but it was a cheap job, and whilst it looks ok, im not happy with the colour (its a battleship grey!) and they failed to mask the brake bosses! sanding these down has stalled the build, but as Im adding components to it its starting to look great. got a new seatpost, bars and stem (originals were long gone sadly), a NOS chainset to replace the recalled version that was still on it, NOS front mech, and NOS hubs (all alivio) struggling to find a NOS rear mech. new cassette and rims. oh, and NOS waveys to replace the gripshifts.

Just needs putting together

Re:

Hi

It was gunmetal grey - I seem to remember the touch up from my '89 Orion injection ghia was a good match.

I have the raleigh catalogue from the time. If you want any pics let me know.

Regards

Ian

Re: Re:

Wright_payne":3rq478sa said:
Hi

It was gunmetal grey - I seem to remember the touch up from my '89 Orion injection ghia was a good match.

I have the raleigh catalogue from the time. If you want any pics let me know.

Regards

Ian

Do you? That would be fantastic! Thanks

The SBDU made mountain bikes.
Although they didn't make very many, I've got one. :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• SBDU_8387_MaverickPro_Frameset.jpg
    SBDU_8387_MaverickPro_Frameset.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 450
  • SBDU_MaverickPro_Ad.jpg
    SBDU_MaverickPro_Ad.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 450
A would say the Raleigh Alien would be the mtb to own... If you can find one. You might have better luck with a close encounter of the 3rd kind unless you've got lady luck on your side.

Attachments

• KIMG6479.JPG
    KIMG6479.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 12
Back