Trek 9900 OCLV Pro Issue 1995 finally FINISHED :)

sniperworks

Dirt Disciple
I noticed there aren't much Retro Trek bikes over here, but then they didn't make alot of bikes that where very special, like Klein with it's great paintwork or GT with it's lovely polished frames.

But for me the '95 9900 is one of Trek's best works, I loved it from the day I saw in the folder, but in '95 it was way out of reach for a 14 Year old.

For several years now I've been looking for a '95 9900.
Been scouting Ebay, but when I found one it was eighter in pretty horrible condition (painted, or just plain worn) or shipping to The Netherlands was a problem.
But I didn't stop trying and I did find what I was looking for after a while.

My plans for the frame where simple:

Build it up like it was in the '95 Folder.

Not all parts will be identical to the original, but preferred diffirent by me, or the chance that I will find it in a good condition is slim.

Some of the parts I really wanted to get NOS like the rear mech, crankset and STI, wich I managed to do.

I started only the frame but soon I found a '95 Rock Shox Judy SL in pretty good nick
A week ago I fitted the headset and Bottombracket and with that the Crankset so it now looks like this:
pbpic2297675.jpg

Speclist

Frame: trek 9900 OCLV Pro Issue
Forks:Rock Shox Judy SL '95
Headset:Chris King Titanium noTreadset (New)
Stem:Syncros hinged stem 130mm*
handlebar:Syncros Pro Series polished Easton EA70 (NOS)
Seatpost:Trek system titanium or Syncros Titanium**
Saddle:Flite Titanium**
STI: Shimano XTR M910 (NOS)
Brakes:Shimano XTR M900-C (NOS)
Front Mech:Shimano XTR M901
Rear Mech:Shimano XTR M910 SGS (NOS)
Crankset:Shimano XTR M900-A
Pedals:Shimano PD-M747 (NOS)
Cassette:Shimano XTR M900 Q-type
Chain:Shimano Dura Ace/XTR CN-7401 (NOS)
Hubs:Shimano XTR M910 with QR
Spokes:Sapim Laser with alloy nipples **
Rims:Matrix Voodoo 32 hole** or Mavic 217 SUP UB
Front tyre: Continental leader Pro (NOS)
Rear tyre: Cotinental Cross Country
tubes:Continental light (new)
cables: Gore Ride on**

Italic text with ** are parts I don't have yet
The seatpost is abit of a problem, I found several Syncros Ti posts but most are cut too short, and I only found 1 Trek system Titanium post, and the seller did not want to ship overseas.

Same goes for the rims, I would love to get some Matrix Voodoo rims for it, but till now I only found a set of 28 hole rims....:?

* The Syncros stem is not in a good condition yet, it needs a good polish and new bolts, I already ordered a set of new stickers for it.

a few pics of parts that are ready to get on the bike:

XTR M910 SGS Mech:
pbpic2297665.jpg

XTR M900-A Crankset:
pbpic2297677.jpg

PD-M747:
pbpic2297668.jpg

M910 STI:
pbpic2297666.jpg

The Continental parts:
pbpic2318105.jpg

Yesterday I got my Syncros stem from the States, as stated above it's not in super good nick but with abit of TLC I think it will look great again:
pbpic2318104.jpg

I expect the project to get some decent progress soon.

very very nice.

used to work with a guy who had a 9800 from '95 that he tricked up with lighter bits and I was smitten too... and your's should be even nicer.

Thanks guys, and Martin I know I'm not so good at making rideble bikes... because I did build a 7.9 Alloy hardtail, wich with my weight wasn't really rideble. but this should be rideble.
It most likely won't see any dirt anymore, but still it should be able to do so.
Just to afraid to damage anything :LOL:

Today I did a little mock-up with the parts that I have (some of them) to see what it's going to look like.

I don't have the rims yet so the wheels are not for this bike (rear is rather logical with the disc on it) The front wheel was the closest I could find to a retro wheel

I did fit the front tire on it to see how it would look and if I got the right size to clear the forks.
-
total view:
pbpic2320722.jpg

Front:
pbpic2320731.jpg

The pics are not great, the weather wasn't great and well the camera isn't top of the range eighter :LOL:

If there is someone who has:

- Syncros Titanium seatpost 27.2 x 330 (give or take)
- Trek system Titanium seatpost 27.2 x330 (give or take)
- Matrix Voodoo rims 32 hole.
- Flite Titanium with red Selle Logo in great condition.

Please let me know. :LOL:

I had one of those :D Team issue nude carbon :LOL:

I rode and raced it very hard during 1995 and even won some races whilst sponsored by Alpine Bikes. Andrew Wright was sponsored by Trek UK and also rode one. Mine was 7spd XT with Manitou 3 forks and the Answer Bar and stem I have on the Lloyd. Andrew's was XTR with Judy SL's as per the brochure.

Actually... I had two in the space of 9 months, one of the rear brake bosses snapped off the first one after 2 months, and the bonded in bottom bracket shell fell out of the second one after 7 months. Trek refunded my money saying "Perhaps these frames are not for you".

To this day I remember it as the best riding hardtail I have owned, so solid and fast feeling like an alu frame and yet when you get the speed up the ride goes smooth like a steel frame as the bike feels to float over the terrain.

I keep half an eye open for them but I don't think I would risk buying one to ride.... breaking two was quite enough :roll:

I think I have an original silver seat collar with rear cantilever brake guide in my parts box if it's of any use to you?

I always liked the look of those frames. Remember drooling over them quite a bit in the catalogue at the time. I have to ask though, where'd you find all that lovely NOS XTR, and how much? :twisted:

Thanks for the replys.

About the NOS XTR parts, I got most of them of Ebay, the STI was from a LBS who had the left one on a shelve behind glass, so I asked if it was for sale and if he had the other half, and they did, I bought it for 75 euro.

Stuff I got from Ebay:

German Ebay:
- XTR Crankset: 216 Euro Buy Now! (it's a 170mm, but he rather a 170mm NOS in box then a 175 worn)
- M910 hubs and QR used but in great condition 124 euro
- Continental Leader Pro 16 euro
- Continental Cross Country 35 euro for a set

UK Ebay:
- Rock Shox Judy SL

US Ebay:
- M910 rear mech $150 (96 euro) Buy Now!
- M900-C Canti's $75 (48 euro) Buy Now!
- Syncros Pro Series bar $84 (54 Euro)
- Syncros hinged stem $26 (16.70 Euro)
- 747 SPD $117.50 (75.50 euro)

I think with some parts I got very lucky, specially the rear mech and brakes, the brakes pedals where found by LTS_biker, I would most likely not have seen them... ;)

Well Finally my Trek 9900 is finished

Click the picture for a larger (and much better) picture

Some extra pics:

Together with LTSbikers '99 Trek 9900 and my brandnew '09 Trek 8000 :

Basicly the bike is finished... at least it looks finsihed in the pics.

There are some things I still need to do and want to add to the bike to give it a bit more personality

Finish:
- I still need to polish the Syncros stem and get the new decals on it.
Replace/Add:
- Replace Trek System 2 stem by a Syncros Titanium version (preferable NOS :roll: )
- Ringlé Mojos in black
- Ringlé H2O also in black
- Matrix Voodoo Rims so I can build a wheelset with my M910 hubs. (currently the bike has a XT M737 set with Mavic 217 rims)

But stuff like the Mojos and the H2O are not stuff that I want to rush, if I find them I replace it until then the stock stuff will do fine.

And yeah in case you're wondering... the pics are taken at the same place as LTSbikers RTS....at the same time to be exact...
And also with the same result... (damage rear mech and saddle)

Back