Whyte PRST1 works special original spec info required

lee-m.c.

Senior Retro Guru
I just bought myself a Whyte PRST-1 Works special. I wanted one of these as I used to own a lower spec version years ago. I believe I have found a good one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/whyte-prst1-w ... true&rt=nc

I loved the way it rode. Perfect for canal rides e.t.c. I'm wanting to know the original spec for the Works special e.g. Tires, bars, seatpost e.t.c. ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just bought a Whyte JW4 in very good condition , I was wondering if anyone had any advice on upgrading the shocks ? .

Robbo73":9khstt9t said:
Just bought a Whyte JW4 in very good condition , I was wondering if anyone had any advice on upgrading the shocks ? .
Hi, the shocks are 165mm very common size. Your best buying some with lockout and pro-pedal if you are willing to spend.

Hi Lee

Thanks for the reply, pedals already on the way , shocks will be 1st thing I upgrade then the gears , I intend to keep the bike and want a usable xc . But bought the bike on looks alone and don't know anything about it other than what I've read on the internet and forums like this .

Re:

I have a JW4. I love it. I bought a NOS in 2005, the year after they stopped making them. I regretted getting rid as soon as tried it's replacement so bought a frame and built it up in 2015.
The shocks can be a problem since if they have any levers etc. which stick out they won't fit, especially at the front. Fox 165/38mm do fit. I know that because in December I saw a PRST4 frame on Ebay and had to have it. £165 and it's very tidy. All the bushings are perfect and the Fox shocks perform like new. I've built it up but only done one road ride so far. I'll keep it for the all day epics.
Best tip for the suspension is to set the air pressure at body weight in lbs (rear) and 75% bodyweight at the front. If you set any sag at the front the anti bobbing feature won't work and when you stand up you'll compress the shock all the way. Be careful you don't go over the bars if the front wheel digs in to dips or hits a rock. I've done that a good few times.
The Bike Cabin in Chorley told me I could get my original JW4 shocks which are XFusion, serviced for £95 each. Bit pricey so I might get seals and do my own.
My PB on a local red route circuit was set on my first JW4 at 10 min 15 secs. I couldn't get within 15 secs of that on any other bike. Perhaps at 55 years old I'll never manage it anyway but this year I intend to do some tests to compare my modern FS bike with the JW4 around this circuit.

Back