New bike :)

Patrick_S":yamrt0ux said:
A trip to a local bike shop proved extremely fruitful when the owner GAVE (not sold!) me an old Peugeot road bike.

Backing up the other posts - there is a reason he GAVE you this bike. It's only got scrap value. Sorry.

You'll spend more making it into something half rideable than you'd spend buying a second hand bike that isn't a death trap.

hmmm
Well I've sorted the brakes out now
On disassembly it has been established there is no structural damage to the frame, just the fork is bent where the crown meets the steerer. A cheap fork replacement may then mean its perfectly rideable, as everything else seems alright.

Shimano 105 cables will probably be the wrong length. I say that as the routing on the older bikes is not the same as more modern ones. Take your old ones including the outers to your LBS (local bike shop) and they should be able to match them.

twiddler":3r42awzq said:
Shimano 105 cables will probably be the wrong length. I say that as the routing on the older bikes is not the same as more modern ones. Take your old ones including the outers to your LBS (local bike shop) and they should be able to match them.

I thought thats what cable cutters are for?

The bike now has functioning brakes :)

However, the fork is still bent. Any ideas as to how I would go about replacing the fork? Fitting it isnt a problem, its just obtaining one the right size.

I know I was warned earlier that the amount I would have to spend on getting this bike to a rideable standard could exceed how much I could have got a better complete bike for, but so far all I've had to spend is 7 quid for a set of brake cables.

So anyway, help with obtaining a new fork would be much appreciated :)

you might strugglr to get a fork for this bike .
used to be a different thread on old french frames , and BB too .

cchris2lou":2a7xpuwc said:
you might strugglr to get a fork for this bike .
used to be a different thread on old french frames , and BB too .

Which is one reason why I advised caution.

Back