Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Looking for the above as I'm thinking of using a 9 speed cassette on my 8 speed bike, taking the biggest sprocket off.

cheers,

Mike

Let me look in the boot of my car mate :D might have one

Mike Muz 67":eo1cfxfz said:
Hi folks,

Looking for the above as I'm thinking of using a 9 speed cassette on my 8 speed bike, taking the biggest sprocket off.

cheers,

Mike

Bloody hell, I've seen pictures of the boot of your car!

Good luck, make sure your mobile is charged up, you have some distress flares, a Bear Grylls survival knife and some Kendal Mint Cake! I would say Mars bar, but I hear it's gone awol !

got a 12-26 8 speed in the cave, hasn't had a lot of use. It's a SRAM one tho

cce":37l9ymio said:

Hmmmmm, are they specific to Sram? If so , Sram what? I'm using Sram ESP 9.0 sl shifters/rear mech. Would it fit on a standard Shimano hub? Sram chains are default on all my builds also, so no problems there.

Mike

the three biggest cogs are mounted on a carrier for 9 speed, so you cannot split them - or they are on ultegra, not sure about MTB gruppos.

Mike Muz 67":2dwzi7ul said:
cce":2dwzi7ul said:

Hmmmmm, are they specific to Sram? If so , Sram what? I'm using Sram ESP 9.0 sl shifters/rear mech. Would it fit on a standard Shimano hub? Sram chains are default on all my builds also, so no problems there.

Mike

Sram and shimano cassettes are fully cross compatible. Usefully the SRAM ones are held together will a small bolt, not rivets so you can chop and change too...

pigman":34jkp3ac said:
the three biggest cogs are mounted on a carrier for 9 speed, so you cannot split them - or they are on ultegra, not sure about MTB gruppos.

Good call, I'd forgotten that ;)

A straight 8 speed it is then . Loooks like 13-26 is all that you can get then :roll: :(

Mike

Back