Kona - Now in Halfords

I actually went into Halfords a wee while ago looking for car stuff and they had swapped the huge downstair area that used to be full of the car related stuff to bicycles and suchlike, leaving the car stuff very much in the minority.

I don't know what is behind this, but they presumably must be selling a huge number of bikes.

Re:

There is the camping and that style holidaying, the racks/boxes/trailer section. The repair section and then pimp your car section. Each section is smaller than the biking section in our stores.

I guess there is more money in it over the pimping and few repair their own modern car nowadays?

The rack section seems to be propped up by the cycle carriers and roof boxes to lug around the bikes and camping gear they sell.

I'd be interested to know what level of bike is their typical bike sale. Kids bikes and bike to work 600 to 100 bikes?

A lot of companies channel their c2w through Halfords.

When I looked a few years ago they were able to order a lot of stuff they don't normally stock specifically for c2w customers

I'm waiting for someone to heckle me while out riding,
"Been shopping in halfords have you mate"
Not good :(

Halfords sell some excellent bikes at affordable prices, such as Boardman and Voodoo.
Anything that gets the masses out has to be a good thing.

Unless you're a brand snob, but as I can't afford Rapha gear...

I can't see the problem with Halfords, I've always had good experiences.

I think people just enjoy hating big companies like Apple etc.

Apple made their business on the back of quality and innovation, and then brought their prices down to make their wares accessible.

Halfords not so much.

Re:

Apple brought prices down? Bollocks has it.

Google, Tesco and even Amazon have done more to bring tablet prices down for the masses with good quality thrown in.
Apple are still way way over priced, but your paying for their ecosystem.

Halfords can be useful for good bargains Clark's PTFE cable sets for 6 quid and 8sp cassettes trying to match CRC prices. BUT you have to use the online cluck and collect system, even better when you use days like the current 10% off.

Never go in the store and just buy. They are over prices then.

How many bikes do they sell? A *huge* number and up there in the very top in volume if not the No. 1.

Did a 24 mile ride this morning, saw three Boardmans on just that one ride. It's been a fantastic brand for them

Back