New thumb friction shifter Sturmey Archer 9 speed?????

kaiser":1bsrjp7y said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10200&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Linky no worky ;)

Well somebody bought a pair of 9 speed Sunrace's yesterday?

Bump for a good thread, I'm trying to find a way to run a four speed sturmey archer hub with five speed thumbies, but all of this is good stuff too...

mrgumby":y3hvpcy1 said:
Bump for a good thread, I'm trying to find a way to run a four speed sturmey archer hub with five speed thumbies, but all of this is good stuff too...

You probably need the correct spring-loaded 4-speed (is it a Dyno hub?) Sturmey shifter. ISTR that incorrect shifts only partly engage the gears, causing wear and failure.

As usual, try Sheldon Brown for actual info.

Hi All
1st post so be gentle :LOL:
looked all over for a decent set of pics and to see what these shifters will do
i have a pair of Paul thumbies with Dura Ace 9's and wanted another pair but bottled on splashing out on Paul again
i had a tenner off voucher so thought at £28 the pair what do i have to lose
hope it's ok to post these to help anyone else who's looking for info/pics

and the question i wanted answering, can you use these with Dura Ace shifters?

yes you can
i haven't got around to fitting them to the bike yet but first impressions are good, even if the indexing or shifters are iffy the mounts themselves are worth the cash.
i'll update this when they are fitted and indexed and let you know if they still live up to expectations

Attachments

• DSCF1784a.JPG
    DSCF1784a.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 935
  • DSCF1786a.JPG
    DSCF1786a.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 934
  • DSCF1787a.JPG
    DSCF1787a.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 934
  • DSCF1788a.JPG
    DSCF1788a.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 935
  • DSCF1789a.JPG
    DSCF1789a.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 935
  • DSCF1794a.JPG
    DSCF1794a.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 935
  • DSCF1795a.JPG
    DSCF1795a.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 935
Nice first post :D

I suspect the shifting will be better when under cable tension. I also suspect the "SR" logo on the mount will come off with some gentle T-Cutting ;)

Re:

Hi All
an update as promised (i posted the pics of the shifters on bars back some in this thread)
after using them for a few weeks the left hand shifter packed up :roll:
a month or so later the rear shifter died aswell
i'm now running them with dura ace 9's and even though the shifters turned out to be pants the mounts are well worth the £28 i spent
i reckon i could of returned them under warranty but i wouldn't of trusted them so i'll stick with the dura aces
bit of a shame really as they seemed quiet well built but nothing like the reliability of shimano shifters unfortunatley
.................................................................................
edited as i wrote front shifter when i meant rear

Re: Re:

nowt-flash":1o9glkkb said:
Hi All
an update as promised (i posted the pics of the shifters on bars back some in this thread)
after using them for a few weeks the left hand shifter packed up :roll:
a month or so later the front shifter died aswell
i'm now running them with dura ace 9's and even though the shifters turned out to be pants the mounts are well worth the £28 i spent
i reckon i could of returned them under warranty but i wouldn't of trusted them so i'll stick with the dura aces
bit of a shame really as they seemed quiet well built but nothing like the reliability of shimano shifters unfortunatley

What do you think of the dura ace/SA mounts versus the ?? shifters/pauls mounts combo on your other bike ?

My reason for asking - on one of my bikes I have 9 speed dura ace on pauls mounts, and really hate them. I love thumb shifters generally, but the extra arc that my 9speed ones have to move through in order to get the extra 2 clicks makes them really bad to use - ergonomically speaking. You have to pretty much lose grip on the RH grip.

What do you reckon ?

Re:

the sturmey mounts have 3 (IRC) positions that they can be adjusted to so you can set them up at different angles to the bars,
that said i'm using them on an old Marin with Nitto Albatross bars (for when my back is bad), also using an m760 rapid rise mech so the gears are more convienient to get too
swapped the bars and lent the marin to my son in law for the Devon coast to coast, he loved them and now wants thumbies himself.
I tried them with a normal rise mech and didn't like it the gears were all arse about face :roll:
the paul thumbies are OK but i have broken two of the fitted cable adjusters, the adjusters are ok for a rear mech or for down tube stops but aren't very strong for bar mounting imo
i like/prefer the Sturmey/sunrace as they have no adjusters i just use the one on the rear mech
the Pauls are sat in a box at the moment awaiting a new life on a frameset i bought NOS bare metal so won't be used again for awhile
btw crc are offering £15 off £99 spend so i just ordered 2 sets of dura ace 9 shifters before they become obsolete (want the option of friction mode)

atb Bill

I had the same question, didn't want to spend so much on Paul adapters, so looked for an alternative.
Someone here mentioned SJS Cycles, they have their own adapter much like Paul and SA with the Dura Ace 9 speed included:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-dura ... prod26273/

They also come in a pair:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-dura ... prod17430/

So for a little more than Paul adapters you get a set with DA shifters.
Ordered them this weekend and they arrived today in Holland.
Me happy! :)

Back