New School/modern bikers

Mr. K":a6s5zdfb said:
Would you drive a car without a seatbelt? :?

In certain circumstances yes. And I believe even the law concedes to this too.

Mr. K":36ev75n4 said:
Would you go swimming without a life jacket?

Would you build a camp fire without an approved fire extinguisher on hand?

Would you have oral sex without using a dental dam?

Would you ride a bicycle without a helmet?

My answers:

I don't drive, but if I did I would always wear a seatbelt. I swim without a life jacket, but I wear one when I kayak. I've built camp fires with care, but without an extinguisher. I wear a helmet when I choose to. And I've never even seen a dental dam.

I've just noticed the resemblance between the "shocked" emoticon and Kaiser's Noddy avatar! :LOL:

It's also just struck me that this thread is now going to show up in google searches for "oral sex" and "8 year old child" ...

:shock:

Interesting discussion and good points have been made. I am not in favour of a mandatory helmet law however, i for one am fed up of the nanny state contantly interfering in matters that sould frankly be a matter of choice. We are all adults here and i feel perfectly capable of making an informed choice about MY personal safety, I dont need someone else telling me what i can or cannot do. Children are a different matter.

I also disagree with laws making seatbelts and motorbike helmets mandatory as well, this is the thin end of the wedge, pretty soon we will all be wrapped in cotton wool and trail centres will be closed, mtb will be banned etc etc.

one-eyed_jim":1ssh5gzc said:
I've just noticed the resemblance between the "shocked" emoticon and Kaiser's Noddy avatar! :LOL:

It's also just struck me that this thread is now going to show up in google searches for "oral sex" and "8 year old child" ...

:shock:

How do you think I found the site??
I'm with the pro choice lobby here. I will wear a helmet when I need to. Other times I won't. We don't all throw ourselves off cliffs and mountains all the time, or in my case ever. I have managed to reach 37 and three quarters so must be pretty good at risk assessment.

10 years ago hardly anyone wore a helmet to play cricket, now very few don't. All kids have to.

Times move on and we just need to wait for the dinosaurs to die off and everyone will be sensible and wear a lid!

(Pulls pin, rolls grenade into room and retires swiftly...)

kaiser":19ixuhxp said:
Mr. K":19ixuhxp said:

In certain circumstances yes. And I believe even the law concedes to this too.

Kaiser are you going to reverse all the way to the next meet or are you pregnant?

One pal of mine survived a road accident (according to the cops) because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt - a very, very heavy side impact.

And while there may be certain circumstances where a helmet is not a benefit, or even positively harmful, for most cases it is an advantage - even if it just stops your face from scraping the ground.

However, from a broader perspective the perception that cycling is dangerous does nothing to popularise it, which is a bad thing. This seems to be the general point that the CTC were trying to make in the recent TV interview. The bigger danger to your life is probably sitting in the house watching Sky all day and getting overweight.

Back