Road Bike Experts

Assuming you just want a workhorse, then a Giant SCR is a good buy. One of my regular riding pals has one, commutes on it normally, then swaps the wheels for a weekend spool out with the lads for 60-80 miles.

It's a nice solid, functional machine. The Sora shifters work well, although have the Nissan Micra 'plastic meets tin' feel about them.

The retro stuff is nice, and Campag gear is very rebuildable, but it's a different kind of thing - do you want to ride or tinker?

Hi there, I am in about the same moment - friend of mine is pushing me to buy road bike and sugests a brand new one. I am completely green in a matter of roadies, but my common (ok, joking, don't have any in case of bike addiction :LOL: ) sense tells me that it better to start with good - even older frame and wheels, the rest can be updated in time, when I finally start to talk with the bike.
I keep an eye on 1995 Cannondale with beautifully made 2.8 frame (weighting about 1200 grams, which is fairly good). Does any of you, guys, have some knowledge on this frame?
I love the way it looks, after all.

Attachments

• Cannondale R500.jpg
    Cannondale R500.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,315
From personal experience, retro's still a viable economy option. The bikes will be steel and easy to repair or add to ( braze-ons etc ), the kit will be top of the line Ultegra or Dura Ace and cost bobbins, loads of folks in the local ads won't know their value and sell them even cheaper. The drivetrains will be nine speed ( don't go below that number of gears yet ) and way more reliable than the thinner-chained 10 speed. Plus, for security and showing off, older bikes attract attention only from retro weirdos like us and much less from thieves who like shiney new stuff.

I think an old Cannondale would be a great choice - they always had nice frames, the rest can be changed as it wear out.

Back