Newly Adopted Merlin mutt...diamond in the rough!

dookie

Kona Fan
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/756302101.html

just got her home a few minutes ago...and didn't pay anywhere near the asking price. early 90s merlin, 130mm spacing, 1" head tube...missing many decals, but the shadows are there as are a few small ones to confirm. appears to be a shadow of a large (sponsor?) decal reading "greenlee's". anyone have info?

serious dissection to begin after supper, but initial eval is looking good. mcmahon ti post & quill stem (!), merlin ti bars, love levers, grafton joystix, XT 7s drivetrain (rear mech hangar bolt is bent, thumbies are cleanish), nuke proof carbon hubs w/red cr17s, scott SE cantis.

not all is sunshine and puppy dogs however...TT dent is substantial, but no creases or cracks and the frame is straight. manitou 1 fork is in bad shape, possibly missing internals. anyone have a good service reference? all bearings need service. white panaracer tires worn & a bit dry.

more to follow...

01010201020301030920080715e32202a6762f37159a000271.jpg

01150001020501040520080715df98ed94705ea1738b00d4b5.jpg

Definately potential there to get a nice looking bike ;)

carsten showed me that bike on craigslist. bargain for the parts on there, keep the anodnised stuff for something else & thats a sweet rig :D

Little Bob":3og0pwcp said:
130mm spacing suggests pre 1992 (my '92 is 135mm). The frame number will confirm of course.

true enough. the 130mm claim was based on a pre-purchase eyeball with a tape measure. frame is #7171, which confirms 1992. dropout spacing as measured with digital calipers is 133mm, rear hub 134.5mm.

2 further questions:

in case it was overlooked in the first post, i'd really appreciate a manitou 1 service guide. can anyone point me at *anything*? just an exploded diagram would help.

sticker on the seat tube says 'equipped with suntour grease guard system'. really? where? the BB is the original press-in style and does not appear to have grease ports (although it has not yet been cleaned...they might be buried under gunk). i have some GG componentry on another bike and an actual suntour GG grease gun, so i am familiar with the system.

grease ports not in the middle of the BB spindle? if not 2 nipple style in the underside of the BB shell?

Yep - mine has two grease nipples under the BB shell.

Bearings are readily and cheap, so may be worth replacing if you're stripping it down anyway.

yep...under the shell. buried in mud, so i missed 'em. much better after a major flush.

a few pics:

the good.
wow...check out that crank. 'nevr dull' metal polish is magic!
merlin_bling.jpg

the bad.
maybe this will become a commuter, maybe i'll give it away...
merlin_dent.jpg

the ugly.
we are not related. i am the better dressed one.
twins.jpg

Back