New to forum & what to do with Bromwich frame?

Halfprice

Dirt Disciple
Hi
I'm new to the forum but have several retro bikes in my collection.
I have a 1990 Dave Yates Diablo and have just had returned to me a 1985 Bromwich. The Bromwich has seen better days having been kept outside for the last two years on a narrow boat in Bristol. I had almost stripped it down and taken the frame to the tip :!: :!: but lent it to a mate instead.
I now have the dilema of what to do with it as the bottom braket threads have gone completely and it has had two dodgy hammerite paint jobs.
(one yellow and one black)
The frame is Overbury's esque and was radical at the time with sloping top tube, high (12") bottom bracket and super short chain stays - it climbed like a dream but was sketchy on the downs (having said that I did win the Newbury Mountain Bike Club one and only DH race on it - held down a piece of double drack known as hoggs hole.)
So do I sell or restore - and would I ever find the time to do it justice. :?:

Hi!

I'd try and rescue the Bromwich if you can, there is a bottom bracket that screws together in the frame and doesn't need threads (can't remember who makes it though!), sort out a nice powder coat job and she'll be trail-worthy again :D

Love to see pictures of the Dave Yates, they rate highly on my wanted list!

Stu

The more I browse this site the more I think I need to get the Bromwich stripped back to the bare metal and repainted :cool: . It's just that with a family, a full susser trail bike, my Dave Yates, a steet/trials bike project and the odd foray back to windsurfing time and money are short and a professional paint job at Dave Yates' running to about £150-£200 it might have to wait. :(

Guess it depends if you want to restore the Bromwich back to original, I had my tatty Fuquay frame, forks and stem stripped and powder coated by a firm in Newbury, only cost 30 quid but It looks pretty good and should be pretty servicable for a few years.....or until I get bored with the colour :D

Stu

Can you let me know who and where as I am only down the road in Hungerford and I can stretch to £30.
Thanks
Tim

haha! mr halfprice, i told you this website was good! ;)

if/when you get your bromwich sorted, & i get my ridgeback going, with stu onboard, we could get a retro ride together!

Argos in Bristol will do a single-colour frame and forks for about £70, and they can also add new threads to a BB for a few quid more.

I think for the extra 40 quid or so Argos would be the better option over the local powder coaters, the finish would be much classier :cool:

If they can fix the BB too that would be a bonus :D

Stu

Back