John Hardisty road bike with pic

pistol13

Retro Guru
Hi guys, Just bought this with knowing very little about the builder. 531 tubing, full campag grouppo and lovely paint. I'm guessing it was from hardisty cycles which was a north east cycle shop but i cannot be sure. Any help would be great. Cheers Mick...
000_0409.jpg

Hardisty's were Jason McRoys first sponsors weren't they? Looks about 1994ish from the brakes. I always got the feeling that a load of shops (Pearsons, Dean, Hardisty etc) got their frames from a single builder as they were so similar, just different decals, but then road bikes all look the same to me.

Nice bike though, I'm in the process of building a similar age one myself - good score!

Looks to be a nice bike. I have a friend who used to live in that area and knows Paul Donohue so he might be able to find out who built frames in the area.

I won't see him for a few weeks though.

Hardisty, was bike shop in Newcastle, in Byker. The shop is still there, only it is now an EBC.

Obvious frame builder up here would be Joe Waugh / Steels of gosforth, but doubt they would have supplied a competitor.

Thanks old frank, never knew that ebc is on the spot of hardisty cycles. Nice building/shop.On the frame building front, i know donohue used to build for denton cycles, and a few others. maybe he build for hardisty too.

hardisty

KEVIN WINTER ALSO USED TO BUILD FOR HARDISTY CYCLES .I had one of his Hardisty frames 531 Designer select with custom cast lugs , loved it. Winter is a TOP DRAWER FRAME BUILDER

pistol13":ujce8bz1 said:
old ned, is Donohue still building?

After a long time I saw my friend and he says that, as far as he knows, Paul is still building. He also reckons that he has been doing some development work with Reynolds.

My friend actually had a couple of photos with him of Paul D. as a long(ish) haired teenager along with a few mutual friends.

Jason's first sponsor for MTB was NTI, Hardistys was later.

Lovely Salsa A La Carte in jellybean, Rockshox and Tioga rear was his ride de jour at the time.

Back