New School/modern bikers

sastusbulbas":18qf4vle said:
You seem to be forgetting the predicament you may be putting someone else in.
Not at all. I'm very aware of it. But we can't and shouldn't assume that our own choices should be applied to others. Life is for living, and living entails risk.

Or kids seeing an adult riding trails and jumps with no helmet, lets say that influence leaves the helmet their parent bought at the side of a jump, and the kid hurts his head, I feel it is part of social responsibility to set an example.
It's a possible scenario, but kids are tough, and they learn from their mistakes. What about the hypothetical kid who comes to love mountain biking by watching your helmeted example, takes a rough descent, helmeted, a little too fast, and ends up in a wheelchair?

Now, I didn't say anything about jumping helmetless.

A lot of this does not seem to be tested against or have any proven protection. I remember seeing early tests which involved an impact straight on top of the helmet,which is nothing like an abrasive sideways impact with weight and leverage at speed.
I agree, which is another reason I object to the suggestion that it's a no-brainer. We just don't have the data.

Personally I still believe for the majority of riders and rider environments that a decent bicycle helmet is a good and responsible habit.
I'm more than happy for you to hold that opinion. ;)

I agree with OEJ, it should be your choice not enforced. To many people consider the helmet the panacea for bike safety where very rarely(read never) is it the root cause of the accident. And where do you stop? Back protectors? Why not motorbike helmets at some of the speeds a cycling enthusiast travels at?

Personally I have cycled for 30 years and I reckon 25 of those without a helmet. Riding quarter pipes, big drop offs, 60 mph descents, all without. I would say 95% of the time I wear one now but sometimes like an easy cruise up a cycle path and I'll leave it at home.

scant":12m3pjd7 said:
easily rant topic of the day.. blondes & brunettes all over again ;) :LOL:
There you go - blondes AND brunettes. No argument here.

Harryburgundy":12m3pjd7 said:
:LOL: Certainly was, I'm ranted out! :D
Aw, and I was just getting into the swing of it!

As i started this rant i`d just like to add that when i cycle to my train every day,my helmet is at home :shock:
If i go for a pootle around town,it`s at home :shock:

If i go off road in the manor that i normally ride it`s glued to the top of my head :LOL:

Back