98 Explosif

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
Reynolds 853 main tubes, 725 stays. Size 17 weighs 4.35lbs. That’s a quarter of a pound heavier than the 96 Columbus Max Explosif that I’m currently working on, so it’s presumably stiffer, or at least stronger. On first impression it feels very fast - solid and direct, but not at all harsh and with a very well-controlled rear end.

Attachments

• 98 Explosif on SDW.jpg
    98 Explosif on SDW.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,460
Nice proportions on the 17" frame, and cool smattering of red components too - really like that :cool:.

What weight does the complete bike top out at, and whereabouts on the Downs is that?

Little Bob":110bm4a1 said:
Nice proportions on the 17" frame, and cool smattering of red components too - really like that :cool:.
What weight does the complete bike top out at, and whereabouts on the Downs is that?
I wondered if it would be too much red, as the original had a blue Z2, but actually I think the all-blue look was maybe a bit too conservative for my liking - after all, the bike is called Explosif!

I would guess that it weighs 24lbs, as my 97 Kilauea is just under 23 with SIDs and those wheels - and the Kilauea frame is 0.15 lighter and the SIDs are a pound lighter than the Z2s. I can't claim to have noticed the difference though, even up hills as the frame feels so efficient.

The houses in the distance are the western edge of Ditchling, but what do you make of the thing on the left?

Little Bob":2jfsmw6s said:
Ah, so it's along from the Beacon.
Looks like a cow's snout to me :D
Takes more than an 853 Explosif to impress some

Attachments

• looking askance.jpg
    looking askance.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,365
I had a 98 explosif and it was the best bike I ever had. Mine was a 19 and I really needed an 18, so I wasn't comfortable doing any gnarly riding, but I still loved it. It just had a magic feeling. You saw the bumps, but whenyou went over them you hardly felt them. Magic.

Nice Anthony. :D

How many Konas do you actually have, I think a stable picture is in order...

Very nice.. I thought the 98 Explosif you had was bigger then 17"...Did you swap it or am I making things up? :? All the same great build! ;)

Back