Pace forks steerers

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me if pace forks with an 1 1/8" steerer are shimable to fit an 1" steerer?

OK call me a numnuts but are you saying that a 1" steerer will fit the 1 1/8" fork crown? Or is there a shim available?

I don't know because I've never done it but I would guess that the diameter of the steerer at the interface with the crown is the same for all steerer tubes?

Have you tried contacting Pace? pace@pace-racing.co.uk

I would not modify anything on a fork steerer .

as russell said buy a suitable steerer from Pace .

Yes, on all counts, can even shim a 1 1/4" crown to a 1" steerer

Basically as long as the crown is bigger than the steerer you will be fine, bear in mind this is only the earlier forks, up to a RC36 pro class 2, after that the steerers were bonded into the crown and it would be a factory return to get a 1" steerer fitted and you would have to ask very nicely

Russell":zzljjfvv said:
I don't know because I've never done it but I would guess that the diameter of the steerer at the interface with the crown is the same for all steerer tubes?

Have you tried contacting Pace? pace@pace-racing.co.uk

Ah ha this is where I fell down I was assumming the steerers supplied by pace would have the same diameter all along their length including the crown interface.

Cheers

I asked pace about this a while ago as I wanted a 1" ahead steerer for my (I have now swapped them back to the original owner for a set of cranks for a street bike I am currently building) original Pace RC35s. I phoned on two occasions about 6 months apart and spoke to different people. The first quoted me a price and the second occasion I was told that they no longer supported the older forks. I did also look at upping the steerer for a newer bike and wondered if I cold get a steerer machined with a 1" bottom to fit the crown and 11/8" steerer - it would be cheeper to get a new crown. :(

My RC36s have a 1" threadless steerer that's been shimmed to fit into a crown that will take a 1 1/8 steerer - Pace supplied the steerer new as part of the refurb I had them do about 6 months ago.

Reynolds tubing

I had a pair of RC35 and wanted a longer steering column. just went to a frame builder and bought a 531 steerer tube. About £15.00 I think in whatever diameter you want.

Back