New School/modern bikers

What they said^^. I generally do wear one off road following a chainset/helmet interface many years ago, (still got it, just as a reminder). I had a calender (or brochure) of a certain Mr Herbold suggesting all you need is a Bula!! I've still go my headband somewhere although (tragically) I don't think I need it to keep the flowing locks out of my eyes anymore.
What annoys me is when a parent has gone to the trouble of buying a helmet for their sprat and you see them with it on backwards or with the buckle done up but hang down around their kid's chest.

I want to reserve my right to choose for myself though.

when i do cycling prof lessons with the school kids i show them a great picture of a kid who fell off his bike whilst going slowly.......hes got a great big ring of staples in his skull where they had to join his head back together.i then threaten them by going round their schools when they go in the mornonings to see if they have their lids on.i say if i see any without one then ill tell the head and make em do the lessons again or ban them from cycling to schools.
ps in my last crash my helmet gave me a really nice black eye.... :oops: :p

kaiser":1so651bw said:
its normally old roadies I find that haven't got one.

Yup.....and you'd think that they would be the ones that would need them most, as tarmac would do more damage to a head than mud! :shock:

I rode from london to cambridge yesterday (charity ride) and three things really annoyed me:

1) people not wearing helmets
2) people carrying there helmet or it hanging off their handlebars
3) people diliberatley riding in a dangerous manner (roadies ;) ) again without helmets.

I agree with earlier comments that a helmet may not save your life in all cases but I'd rather crash with one on than without one on.

My 2 cents worth

M

letmetalktomark":2dnhzlbt said:
I rode from london to cambridge yesterday (charity ride) and three things really annoyed me:

1) people not wearing helmets
Life's too short to get wound up about someone else's free and personal choice of headgear on a sunny Sunday pootle. We are talking about a fifty mile Sunday pootle on quiet roads, aren't we?

Mick D":1n4tn1rg said:
Just a quick link to a story i read about in the paper.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsi ... 495628.stm
An 11-year-old girl says her cycle helmet saved her life when she got run over by a car.

Savannah was riding home after passing her cycling proficiency test, when she lost her balance and the car ran over her arm and head, crushing her helmet
Looks to me like a car ran over her helmet, crushing her helmet. One-eyed_jim says: an eleven year old girl who had a fright shouldn't dictate road safety policy.

This is a can of worms debate thats been aired on many an internet forum. My views are its not black and white, there are strong arguments for and against, as illogical as it sounds NOT wearing a helmet can be safer in some circumstances. Just because a person fell off and damaged their helmet does not mean they would have damaged there head without it on, helmets make your head a lot larger obstacle to hit for one thing.

At the end of the day, everyone on here is an adult and big enough and old enough to make our own decision as to wearing a helmet.

one-eyed_jim":2bck8u1m said:
Looks to me like a car ran over her helmet, crushing her helmet. One-eyed_jim says: an eleven year old girl who had a fright shouldn't dictate road safety policy.

Quite. If the car had genuinely run over her head, a helmet wouldn't have been much use. & Her new helmet would barely be of any use ever, judging by how she's wearing it in the "Savannah wearing a new helmet" pic. :?

Parents who don't make their kids wear helmets make me angry, & tbh anyone that doesn't wear one is daft. I don't think it should be law though - plain common sense would do (& lack of that = natural selection ;) ).

Back