Finished the Al Carter

Re: Al carter Professional

exbiker":vs4dvuhc said:
alpinestar222":vs4dvuhc said:
My first mountain bike!
Assembled by Townsend in Leigh Lancs. Where I lived then.
Purchased from Atherton (nr Bolton)
£300 back then and that was it I was Hooked!!
Must be late 1980s??
Never thought I'd see one of those again :D

Ha, I used to work for Townsend Cycles at there response mill driving there truck for them and when it was quiet i used to help out on the production line, £2.67 per hour wages, when i was on the production line my job was to put reflectors on the bikes 100 a day would guarantee me a huge £10 bonus at the end of the week.

After i was sacked from there i went to work in a cycle shop in Atherton (Cycleworld) which i reckon would of been where you bought your bike from.

Yes it was Bag Lane, near Barrs Drinks.
Thinking back they sold DB, Scott, Muddy Fox etc but this bloke who worked for Townsend talked me round to this. Weighed a fair bit but was ok. I sold it to a work mate who still has it.

Get on

That bike brings back loads of happy memories!
There were a lot of Al Carters around back in the early 90's, when I made a feeble attempt at racing (the less said the better, picky below of me not falling off, for once).
They were so popular because you could get a full XT groupset and a alloy
frame for at least £150 less than any other bike maker, you would have been mad not to, really.
I still remember all the black and white Al Carter full page ads in MBUK.

Cracking bike, I take me hat off to ya!

Attachments

• Quantocks.jpg
    Quantocks.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 4,889
Love the pic :cool:

Isn't funny though how over time all the hills have been turned round and riders can only go down now instead of up :LOL: :LOL:

I contacted my work mate and he still has my old Al Carter in his garage!!
Already asked him if he really needs it still.
It would be nice to see it again as it was my first MTB and also to add an 80's bike to the fleet.
Can't have too many Bikes :D

Re: Al carter Professional

FSR-Si":3fnnkk63 said:
alpinestar222":3fnnkk63 said:
My first mountain bike!
Assembled by Townsend in Leigh Lancs. Where I lived then.
Purchased from Atherton (nr Bolton)
£300 back then and that was it I was Hooked!!
Must be late 1980s??
Never thought I'd see one of those again :D

Ha, I used to work for Townsend Cycles at there response mill driving there truck for them and when it was quiet i used to help out on the production line, £2.67 per hour wages, when i was on the production line my job was to put reflectors on the bikes 100 a day would guarantee me a huge £10 bonus at the end of the week.

After i was sacked from there i went to work in a cycle shop in Atherton (Cycleworld) which i reckon would of been where you bought your bike from.
ha ha i got a few bikes from there (cycleworld) back in the day

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back