GT XIZANG - project completed!

Archangel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Surprise surprise!
I have stated a few times that I don't particulary like GTs too much.
However, there's one model I always liked quite a bit. Might have something to do with the race success or its unobtainium status back in the day (for me that is).

So, with some help from Scant, I have acquired a lovely XIZANG titanium frame! :D :D :D :D :D
This is a 1994-1995 frame so it takes cantis or vees in the back. Geometry should be for circa 50-60mm travel forks.

x3.jpg

I bought some XTR M950 components to go with the frame.
However, I do also have a complete XTR M900 gruppo at home so I might use it instead.

Since I built up the Merlin too nice for riding, this Xizang will be my ride machine.

I've already promised myself and my wife that this will be the last retrobike but we'll see... :roll:

Re: And the next project is... a GT!

Archangel":2xk4rtgp said:
I've already promised myself and my wife that this will be the last retrobike but we'll see... :roll:

Dont give promises what you cant keep... it´s like lying to your self :LOL:

BTW.. really nice frame and parts too :cool:

'Kai'

'GT'

Never thought they'd come out of my mouth at the same time...!

Nice looking frame though.

If it was me I'd go with the 950 rather than the 900...

Looking forward to progress pics!

Lovely, lovely frame; going to be a nice build.

Cant help but think the yellow graphics dont suit a Xizang......just not classy enough. Blue would look better IMO.

glad the deal went through & it goes to a good home :)
I rode that very frame for a few months after I broke my fat chance titanium in 98. The original owner used to race for GT in quebec. I hand polished the inside of the triple triangle as it was really dull when al picked it up.

I'd go for a juli furtado build. either M900 & mag21 sl ti, or M950 XTR & judy sls :)

Well, I do have XTR M900 and Mag 21 SL/Ti but I also have XTR M950 + nice wheelset to go with them. I don't have the Judy SL but a GT Bologna CrMo fork instead. That might be a good solution as well. Since this will be a rider, M950 could be a better option since it should be working better than M900 (well, at least Vs are more powerful than cantis).

I've thought to use Titec Ti stem & bar, onZa Ti barends and probably XTR M910 seatpost... I know that Julie & co. used Kore stuff BITD but I'm not very fond of those. Maybe onZa Porcupine tyres could fit the build quite nicely?

Re: And the next project is... a GT!

Shamus":2q2vas8t said:
Dont give promises what you cant keep... it´s like lying to your self :LOL:

Well, I can always buy a retrobike for my daughter ;)
Which brings to my mind that a friend told me that Merlin is manufacturing a production run of titanium trikes! Sweet! The price might be a little bit harsh though...

fork

think it handles higher forks ok, my friend has a avalanche and it comes with the 80mm's sid fork and my avalanche le (which is 2 years older) has the exact same frame and that ones comes with the 60mm's judy sl...

I'm gonna fit a 100mm's skareb on mine, just hope that doesn't affect it to much, gonna go for a rigid fork later on...

Back