Wheel building

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm for having a go at the black art and was wondering if theres any tips to pass on. Looking for a good book maybe or site? Also any new rims with a retro flavour, I've seen a pair of araya's on the edinburgh bike site, anyone any experience with these? Had a look at the dt spoke calculator as well and seems usable....maybe. Also any spoke key recommendations and am I wasting my money on a budget stand? I probably foresee about 2 pair of wheels at the moment. Oh and just one more question did goldtec produce a rear hub?

So many questions but any help appreciated :)

Only real advice I can give is don't buy a Park Tool spoke key, Your hands will cramp up after the first 5 or 6.

Use a Cyclo Spokey or similar, 1 1/2" disc of plastic type, much more comfy!

Also don't grease the nipples I always used to put the tiniest kiss of copper slip on the spoke end, too much and they will loose tension, none and they will seize up after the first winter.

Good luck, be patient and get lots of tea bags in! :LOL:

Kaiser,

I've built a few (100+) sets of wheels so I can answer a few questions...

An excellent site would be to check out Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding page, very detailed, can lead you step by step through the process.

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

I've had excellent success with Bontragers Valiant rims, a very sturdy box rim with a retro flair. Priced fairly as well.

Damon Rinards spoke calc excell based system is a great reference source, having a very complete database of hubs and rims.

http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

The Spokey wrench is a great tool, not only for its comfort, but because it grips the nipple on all four sides, eliminating stripping.

A quality stand, such as Park's TS2, is a must. If you do not have access, a cheap stand with a good dishing tool and a lot of patience is in order.

I would suggest getting a comfortable spot, laying it all out, using a bit of linseed oil instead of lube on each spoke thread, and enjoying yourself.

cheers,

rody

good advice from Rody.

Also the DT spoke calculator is pretty good online.

Take your time, chill, enjoy. Very satisfying and you can put lots of different coloured nipples on if thats your flavour :D

I only used the lightest gt85 or something as lube, and do lots of spoke stressing during build. I have only ever used a frame brake blocks and ruler, so guess a wheel jig would help!!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the input so far :D

Forgot about sheldon should all ways be a first stop :oops:

Any recommendations for online spoke and nipple suppliers?

Back