1990 Muddy Fox Pathfinder - Redux

Re: 1991 Muddy Fox Pathfinder

Well, this has performed admirably as a commuter only to be hung as a f+f in the garage for about 12 months.

I have been collecting DX parts as and when I have seen them cheaply and it is coming along nicely! I was absolutely gutted to miss out on the MF on ebay recently that had the Wheel disc. When I was a kid I wanted one of those more than anything!!!

Dont think it will be ready for BoTM though and the chris king wheels on there at the moment are a bit overkill :LOL:

As an aside it never occurred to me how similar these were to the Orange Clockwork, tange Infinity tubing and wishbone seat stays.

I still need some DX wheels for sure and maybe a post and headset but those are a bit of bling :LOL:

lnx3.jpg

Re: 1990 Muddy Fox Pathfinder

Luke

That's looking sweet and personally I don't think you can ever have too much CK on an MF ;)

(says the man collecting Ti for his courier :LOL: )

I'm just fitting race-king's to mine to add some lightness (reckon they'll take about 2lb off! :D ) as it's never going to be more than a commuter / light trails ride now.

I have a NOS DX headset that may become available (if I can find a Suntour XC) and if you're really keen there's a chap in france with some NOS early dx stuff

cheers
And

Well I found a few more important bits on the nostalgia road and thought it was time to re-visit the bike that started it all for me!

Back to bare frame, just keeping the seat post as its a fairly uncommon size. I've fitted a cool Turbo saddle and decided to keep the Rictchey Logic headset as I'm doing this on a budget.

DSC_0001_zps3629fddc.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsbc69245c.jpg

Re:

I have gradually picked up the various bits of DX over the past year or two, after realising that they never made a DX post in 26.4 i gave up looking for one :LOL:

As you can see Ive not polished it up or even cleaned it much!

DSC_0014_zps396d0b4d.jpg

One of the things I always wanted as a kid was a Flexstem. . . .god knows why. . . . so I finally got one, some 20 odd years later.

DSC_0018_zps318c7f11.jpg

Finally, a bit of Bling. . . . NOS Tioga Prestige bars!!! :LOL:

DSC_0019_zps54721ed9.jpg

Re:

Now for the most important part and the reason I could finally start assembly. . . the wheels.

I have wanted a disc since as long as Id had a proper mountain bike. Again, no idea why, I just thought they were cool and I had no concept of Yeti, Ritchey, etc etc. I still would've chosen the disc over them. Ignore the QR's, some DX ones on the way.

The tyres are Tioga Wonder Dawg and Mud Dawg, walls are a bit crusty but they look good!

DSC_0022_zps64cdb4c4.jpg

DSC_0025_zps5897ae36.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsda17c094.jpg

Just need a few finishing bits to cable and chain it up. Not sure how often I will ride it but it is more about the journey than the result I think.

Archemist":1r3bgfls said:
looking good luke :cool:

loving the wheel disc too :D

Cheers, Ive got another accessory on there, a Cosmic Trail corner bag :LOL: I always wanted a full cosmic trail set up - bag, top pad, and for some reason I thought they did a handle par pad! . . . . It was the early 90's! Think i will stick to the bag on its own. . . . .

How's the Alu Pro coming along?

DSC_0028_zps09c64b22.jpg

Really Sweet - with the co-ordinated bag and the stem suits it too (the original 90's Fox stems were beyond a joke...)

Alu Pro is now a complete collection RM20's in black and a NOS seat binder have arrived - need to have wheels built - and it'll be build time...

And

Re:

Great seeing this in various guises. Just seeing the MF disc evokes massive nostalgia that's hard to put into words. I think most people of a certain age who were into bikes wanted one of those.

Back