Vitus Seatpost Grub Screw Rounded! (any tricks for removal?)

Re: Vitus Seatpost Grub Screw Rounded! (any tricks for remov

Hi
They are not drill bits. They work with a tap handle, like in a tap and die and not a bath tap. You drill a pilot in the grub screw and screw the easyout into the hole. When it tightens enough it should screw the grub out provided there is not too much corrosion and the pilot hole is deep enough.

As a last resort you could drill the grub out with as large as possible drill bit and pick it out in pieces. This is a job for a drill stand and it's probably best to take it to a good engineering shop.

You need to also bear in mind that the grub is under tension if the seat post is still in the hole, so you are fighting this too.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts

bugloss":3dfodta2 said:
As Midlife says, use the easy out.
They only damage the grub screw.

that's fine until the screw breaks and leaves half behind..............

bugloss":5ddz4g25 said:
Hi
They are not drill bits. They work with a tap handle, like in a tap and die and not a bath tap. You drill a pilot in the grub screw and screw the easyout into the hole. When it tightens enough it should screw the grub out provided there is not too much corrosion and the pilot hole is deep enough.

As a last resort you could drill the grub out with as large as possible drill bit and pick it out in pieces. This is a job for a drill stand and it's probably best to take it to a good engineering shop.

You need to also bear in mind that the grub is under tension if the seat post is still in the hole, so you are fighting this too.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts

Thanks - I'm not sure if this has made me feel better or not??!?!

Blast the surrounding alloy with carburettor cleaner! The alloy will expand quicker than the steel bolt,
It will get really really cold and could/can crack the corroded in bolt, then use the stud extractor.

Ian Raleigh":uuxfkp3w said:
Blast the surrounding alloy with carburettor cleaner! The alloy will expand quicker than the steel bolt,
It will get really really cold and could/can crack the corroded in bolt, then use the stud extractor.

Thanks for this suggestion. Appreciated.

Had already been regularly been blasting it with a pressurised can called "Crack It" - which I picked up at the local motor spares shop that they convinced me to buy instead of Plusgas. It does come out at high pressure, and noticeably pretty cold. (I wouldn't spray it directly on my fingers).

After having done this for a few days, I was then going to alternate heating up the whole joint with a hairdryer (so as not to stick a bare flame on it), and them blast it with the Crack It stuff to cool it right down again and crack the corrosion. A few treatments of this, then was going to try to turn the Torx bit that I've hammered into the grub bolt to see it will turn....

The reverse thread drill bits have just turned up too, so if the Torx bit didn't work, was going to drill it.

Sound like a plan?

Re: Success...

Had continued to soak the grub screw / seatpin in Crack It for the last few months - trying every so often to twist out the grub screw - yesterday, it finally cracked!

In the end, once it had started to move, the grub screw came out with ease. I had really hammered an oversized Torx bolt into the allen key opening, and given it a little bit of welly with a 10mm socket and a ratchet wrench.

The real fkr was the removal of the seatpin, which was defo a 2 man job to hold the frame still whilst you really had to twist the little sob. The bottom half of the seatpin was green! The crack-it also managed to free up the top of the seatpin too, so this has also now freed and the saddle is released too....

So, patience and attrition was the order of the day - plus the freezing effect of the CrackIt seemed to work in the end for me too. Most important thing was no damage to any of the parts too.... result.

Attachments

• P8140294-2.jpg
    P8140294-2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 582
  • P8140292-2.jpg
    P8140292-2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 582
  • P8140293-2.jpg
    P8140293-2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 582
  • P8160298-2.jpg
    P8160298-2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 582
  • P8140295-2.jpg
    P8140295-2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 582
Re:

Annoyingly, someone, somewhere has told me that they can source them. Now I can't find where it was written.... :evil:

Latest posts

Back