1X10 is it any good and worth it?

My Sram set up was well easy to index and has needed adjusting since May when I first set it up. And let's be honest, the summer was rubbish so it has seen its fair share of mud.

I switched to Sram when I lived in Sheffield because my Shimano set up was too temperamental in the winter.

I am putting a light-ish all rounder (all off road though) hardtail together now, and thinking about 2x8. I had thought about 1x10 but I fancy a thicker chain, and have the eight speed cassettes already. Probably go with a triple crankset, with a bash ring. I have a Giant XTC for making up as a 1x10 for spring, but I will no doubt change my mind by then!

Liking the hub drives, but too heavy/pricey still.

Most of the riding I do, (when fit!), is off road with a good amount of off trail, lots of hopping over obstacles and flicking the rear around.

I will have to take a look at those bottom bracket gearing systems again, surely they are coming of age?

Two by nine seems to offer up a decent range while allowing a reasonable chain line. With a 1x10 I would be gritting my teeth every time I was cross chaining to the max.

I totally forgot about this thread and I wasn't getting notifications.... Anyhow I'm going 2013 2x10 SLX not sure on front teeth yet but I'm definately going 11-36 cassette.

Re:

I am running XT (with an STX triple chainset) thats 3x10 on my Cube HT.

I NEVER use the big ring, I do use a mix of small/middle ring. All my MTBing is done entirely off road as I have a CX and road bike for other duties. I am quite swift on climbs, and keep riding even when I feel like walking would be quicker, no pain no gain etc :twisted:

I have done 2 MTB races this year, a first for me! During the winter one I did notice the Front Mech was just a big shelf for mud, during the more recent race I noticed with the very quick and short up/downs I was flicking between inner and middle ring rather than looking/planning ahead and using my rear cassette.

Very tempted to try 1 x 10, as 2 x 10 would not give me any gain - still clutter, no decent weight saving. Happy to "re learn" and plan better when I face sudden steep climbs.

My current tripple is 24-32-42, would it be wise to try a 30 (just in case I need it) or go for a straight swap with a 32?

I'm running either 1x9 or SS on my bikes, running 32 front with 32-11 rears... the 1-1 ratio is fine for climbing but I think it'd be better to run a 34 front with 34-11 to get a little more 'top end'

Re:

I'm running 2X9 on both bikes (retro and mod), 22/36 up front ans 11/34 at back , can get up most things and keep a decentish speed up , tend to spend a bit more time on the granny due to ratio spacing but it works for me .

I went for a 32t, awaiting delivery.

Really not sure if I would have been better with 30t or 32t, I suppose I can swap it, if needed.

I know 32t will cope with most, but if there is a really steep climb I will want to ride it!

Thinking about it not sure why I have gone to 1x10 :facepalm:

I find 32 is fine on my Banshee. The hardtail has a 34 on it because it's used for shorter rides and more mucking about.

Latest posts

Back