Steelman Eurocross

yo-Nate-y

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my current commuter (hence the rack and road tires):

Steelman Eurocross

The frame is from 1996 but has had some upgrades in the very late 90s to early 2000. Perhaps not fully retro build-wise, but certainly of a 90s style more than a modern one. This was one of the Steelman-sponsored cyclocross team bikes.

I am planning a few things for it, but in the meantime, here are the pics! I'll try to dig up a picture as I bought too, sans racks, with an ugly saddle, and with proper cross tires, too.

Frame: Brent Steelman Eurocross SN 077696

Fork: Steelman

Headset: King 2Nut (no logo)
Stem: Salsa
Handlebar: Cinelli Eubios
Bar Tape: Cinelli cork

Brifters: Dura Ace 7700 9 speed
Brake Calipers: Shimano Deore LX canti
Brake Pads: Koolstop
Brake Cables: Dura Ace

Front Derailleur: FSA
Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 7700
Derailleur Cables: DA
Cassette: Dura Ace
Chain: DA
Cranks: Ritchey Logic
Chainrings: Takagi X
Bottom Bracket: dunno :)
Pedals: Odyssey Svelte

Rims: Mavic Open Pro
Hubs: Ultegra
Hub Skewers: bolt-on
Nipples: red ano alu
Spokes: black double butted DT
Tyres: Conti Gatorskins 28c front, 25c rear
Tubes: generic

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Ti
Seatpost: Ultegra
Seatpost Binder: generic

Bottle Cage: Minoura
Extras: Tubus Vega rack

Weight: haven't checked :)

More to come, but in the meantime, here are some pics!

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

very nice machine, although i am surprised to see what looks like a very road bike steep front end, must be quite twitchy off road when it's in cross mode.

very cool though :cool:

I messed around with cross tires for the first couple weeks I had it, and took it out on some fire roads...it didn't seem unmanageable to me, but maybe that's since I am used to quick mtbs? I haven't ridden another cross bike.

It seemed silly to have the buzz/wear and slow ride for my 10 mile on-road commute, and I didn't want to subject the IF that duty (or put a rack on it)......so road tires for the Steelman it was!

Class commuter :D

Lovely bike, yet another in your collection that I covert! Would be great to see it in cyclocross mode.

Thanks y'all. Here are some pics as I rode it the first couple weeks. I ditched the Fizik and ControlTech seat post, but the cross tires may come back someday (the bike currently has a slightly older/shorter Salsa stem, and some dark green ano bottle cages....a subtle rasta). I've been itching to take it off road again. But in the meantime...the sad fate of the bike path and panniers remains for this former racer.

steelmanrear.jpg

steelmanfront.jpg

steelmanII.jpg

steelmam.jpg

amazing frame!
i didn't see any other steelman before... looks so comfortable for the long ride...
looks like the mum of the modern gravel-bikes!

Re:

love the steely look :cool:
is that nickel plated or another plating ?

sorry to see that hardly any steelmann is crossing the atlantic :?

Back