Downtube Shifters--

Yes, friction type, but also have a Sirrus with thumb shifters which are much better - if I keep my old machine then I'll eventually change to some sort of bar levers (either the combo jobs with brake levers or bar ends)

FYI mine are shimano 600EX, circa 1988 - braze on levers and rear gear

SecretSam":2irbrb7h said:
Yes, friction type, but also have a Sirrus with thumb shifters which are much better - if I keep my old machine then I'll eventually change to some sort of bar levers (either the combo jobs with brake levers or bar ends)

FYI mine are shimano 600EX, circa 1988 - braze on levers and rear gear

My Univega Superstradda was full Dura-Ace EX--except for the funky pedals I really liked it.

I have always had downtube shifters on my road bikes!

The one and only road bike I have kept runs Campag Delta brakes with Shimano 600 down tube shifters; index to rear mech friction to front ;) I raced this bike throughout the 90's and it performed with no problems.....so never felt the need to change.

Yes, for a retro road bike, you must have these...
vivut.jpg

I had a set of down tubes on a 2.8 Series Cannondale, fantastic sound through that down tube :LOL:
The C40 has STi on it which work the best of the lot. though the Campag Ergo's i had on a Cannondale were the best shape/most comfortable ;)

yeah I have shimano friction downtube shifters on my carlton and they're pretty awful to use, I can't change gear unless i'm on totally flat, straight road and even then it's a wobbly mess :evil:

quote] yeah I have shimano friction downtube shifters on my carlton and they're pretty awful to use, I can't change gear unless i'm on totally flat, straight road and even then it's a wobbly mess [/quote]

Practice makes perfect !

Ah but can you change gear in both mechs with 1 hand using STIs?

Erm no - but the point is that both your hands are on the bars anyway so you don't need to. I'll often do a double downshift at the rear while changing to the large ring at the front to get an equivalent gear before winding up the speed.

I can do that without coming off the drops or reducing my speed or giving away what I'm up to.

Back