'90 GT Tequesta Nimbus.....

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
You know those moments when you put in a cheeky bid on eBay, not expecting to win.......

I now am the proud owner of a 1990 GT Tequesta........in the blue/white swirly cloudy nimbus paint job.

Pic from eBay....(was listed on RB in the eBay section too)

First impressions.....heavy ;)

But I like it.....wacky paint job, pretty original condition, crazy cabling to rear u-brake & some cabling which disappears inside the top tube. And the iconic GT triple triangle frame shape.

Overall it's in fairly good nick. Needs a strip down and deep clean....then a bit of a frame polish & paint chip touch up. Plan to re-cable it too and a general service and overhaul.

Bad points:
Stuck seat post. It currently has a homemade extension piece rammed in the top of the tube too.
Bit of paint missing from chainsuck
Heavy-ish.
Cranks - look a bit heavy/naff.
Rumbly rear hub.

Will get some fresh pics pre-strip & clean in the next few days.

Never owned a GT before and don't know much about them (and the Suntour components on it) - but thought this one looked quite interesting so took a punt on it.....

Re:

Nice, you don't see many early ones, especially in Blue. My Mrs rides a 1991 Tequesta in purple haze. If you search on here you'll find many useful articles on freeing seized seatposts. I had to use the caustic soda method on our one and it worked a treat.

I've managed to un-stick a post in the past using a freeze spray, similar to the type plumbers use to locally freeze pipes before working on them. The theory being that the ally post shrinks more than the steel, breaking the corrosion and allowing it to move....

Does the caustic soda method cause paint damage as it heats up?

sherlylock":1rl4v0cp said:
I've managed to un-stick a post in the past using a freeze spray, similar to the type plumbers use to locally freeze pipes before working on them. The theory being that the ally post shrinks more than the steel, breaking the corrosion and allowing it to move....

Does the caustic soda method cause paint damage as it heats up?

I always go with freezing as it works! providing there is something to clamp onto. Posts lopped off at the clamp are better caustic soda'd out. why people set fire to their frames/ use 25 hacksaw blades is beyond me.

Caustic soda can/will damage paint but it tends to be limited and most obvious in areas where the soda fluid immediately exits the frame.
Freezing even works with steel in steel as the thermal shock breaks most types of seal/fusion.

Re:

Really like the look of the early painted GT's and wouldn't mind one of those snazzy looking orange Karakorams but unsure about about what size i'd need. You're a tall chap Mart, how does it suit sizewise?

I'm sure you could shave of a good few grams if you upped the spec a bit.. especially the chainset, i removed a similar looking one from my missus' 92 Muirwoods and halved the weight of the entire bike. :D

R.

Re: Re:

PopsTrippin":3i3b86aw said:
Really like the look of the early painted GT's and wouldn't mind one of those snazzy looking orange Karakorams but unsure about about what size i'd need. You're a tall chap Mart, how does it suit sizewise?

I'm sure you could shave of a good few grams if you upped the spec a bit.. especially the chainset, i removed a similar looking one from my missus' 92 Muirwoods and halved the weight of the entire bike. :D

R.

I'm 6ft 2" Rich and I think this is going to fit me quite well for off-road type activities - certainly on a par with the Marins that I ride (although the top tubes seem to be a bit longer on the Marins). Not sure what size this frame is tbh - the guy I bought it off said it was OK for 6ft+ in it's current setup, and it looked quite big so I took a punt! Having said all that I haven't ridden it yet! :facepalm: Planning to service it/ clean it and use it on a ride planned with SIMONFREESE in a week or so......

Some pre-clean pics, taken this afternoon.......

Re:

This Tequesta model was my first Mtb purchased new back in the day. Brings back some memories :D :D :D

Re:

I recognise that first photo !
Great price.

It looks like a 20" frame, I'm riding around on a 99 which is also 20" and I'm 6'. Great for on the
road tho I prefer an 18" for seriously bumpy stuff.

Lucky for you my car blew up at the start of the month or I'd have been all over that :(

Enjoy !

Re:

Looking good Mart... I hope you have it with you on the 10th! I will be letting the side down with my modern steed :oops:

Great photos by the way!

Back