i-Phone 3G - Advice needed

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Decided that I need one of these but am I right that the 3G i-Phone is only available on O2 network in the UK?

Can it be converted to Orange?

And if I buy one in the USA next week will it work here?

You are right in saying that they only work on O2 this side of the water.

You can get a 'jailbreak' phone that could work on other providers but they are expensive and there might be some problems with compatibility and also software updates which Apple like to bring out all the time similar to iPod.

In the US iPhone is only available on AT&T; although there are rumours that an unlocked one will be available some time in the near future. PAYG is going to be available soon but I get the feeling this will be megabucks.

Why do you need one? IMO other phones provide more features. From my point of view, the lack of quality camera and inability to send MMS messages tilted the balance for me and I got an N95 8Gb instead which is available on most networks. Virtually all of the features of the iPhone and even GPS if you are into that sort of thing.

Hope this helps

there are a couple of good websites out there that can keep you upto date with the hacking of these phones, and at the mo, the news is that they have noyl software unlocked them, allowing 3rd party software ot run, but they havent network unlocked them yet - only a matter of time though

A friend bought one from **somewhere over the rainbow** and had it working on Orange within 10 minutes, however that was an iPhone 1.0.

It will only be a matter of time before the 2.0 iPhone 'falls' in the same way.

You might want to take a look at this >> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/20 ... ol_tested/

Personally I don't rate them, they are too big, too heavy and more of a fashion accessory/toy.

cornholio's RC200":ot8defhp said:
Why do you need one? IMO other phones provide more features. From my point of view, the lack of quality camera and inability to send MMS messages tilted the balance for me and I got an N95 8Gb instead which is available on most networks. Virtually all of the features of the iPhone and even GPS if you are into that sort of thing.

I need one becaue they are available :oops: I ride with my ipod and phone so could get rid of one......?

MadCowKev":2sdxnzlx said:
I ride with my ipod and phone so could get rid of one......?

Yeah you could......sounds like you have sold your soul to Apple. If you hadn't there's cheaper/lighter ways of skinning that particular cat (i.e something that isn't dependant on that nasty iTunes software....)

neilll":4xz7qcqu said:
MadCowKev":4xz7qcqu said:
I ride with my ipod and phone so could get rid of one......?

Yeah you could......sounds like you have sold your soul to Apple. If you hadn't there's cheaper/lighter ways of skinning that particular cat (i.e something that isn't dependant on that nasty iTunes software....)

Agreed. My Orange SPV M700 performs a raft of functions :

Phone
Music player (various formats)
Sat Nav (Runs Tom Tom)
GPS logging of my rides that can then be loaded into Google Earth so I can see where I got lost :)
Email and every type of messaging I can think of
Reasonable camera with video etc
Takes memory cards for extra storage

It's smaller and I think lighter than an iPhone.

What the iPhone does have is that interface...

paddy01":1hbx2u4n said:
It's smaller and I think lighter than an iPhone..

Actually it's not and that surprised me :shock:

SPV M700 = 150g
iPhone 1.0 = 135g
iPhone 2.0 (3G) = 133g :shock:

neilll":2pu111zb said:
paddy01":2pu111zb said:
It's smaller and I think lighter than an iPhone..

Actually it's not and that surprised me :shock:

SPV M700 = 150g
iPhone 1.0 = 135g
iPhone 2.0 (3G) = 133g :shock:

Well I'll go 'tut foot 'o our stairs!

Although perhaps not that surprising as it does pack a lot of tech into it.

Hey guys

Im an owner of an Iphone 1.0 which has been jailbroken and I use it on orange.

It works perfectly and is the most awesome bit of electronics equipment I've bought in years. Serious.

You just want to use it all the time, its a pleasure to operate, and it just feels quality.

I own a N95 too and it doesnt compare.

Im not a mac fanboy as I use Pc's predominantly - so I suggest you get one asap.

Also suggest get a Iphone 1.0 over the 2.0 and jailbreak it. Dead easy.

Back