The Lava Dome - It Begins

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
Just got 'er in the mail, rescued from the porch outside my brother's college dorm. Shield your eyes gentlemen, its not pretty:

old_small.jpg

rear_end_small.jpg

front_end_small.jpg

So now she's getting stripped and off to the powder coater (or sprayer as you brits seem to call them). I was surprised to see the old XT stuff on there, my dad simply had it laying around. Now the question is, should I restore the XT stuff with new bolts, or go with the 94-era LX stuff I already have?

Oh by the way, I found the project two- threaded in some guys back yard here in town yesterday. $5. Couldn't believe my eyes and good fortune.

Oh yeah, its gone. Awful.

I have the original Velocity stem, but I'm not sure whether to use it or get something else.

Looking pretty! :LOL:

Those XT brake levers are lovely, I have a set on my Orange.
I would be tempted to try and re furbish the XT stuff unless your LX kit is in really nice condition.

Powder coating as we understand it is where the frame is heated and a fine grain powder of paint granules are sprayed on to the frame, they then melt on and produce a tough surface.
The firm I use spray liquid paint onto a cold frame and this is then baked to about 70 degrees centigrade to harden the paint. This is repeated many times, usually 2x primer 3x paint and 1x laquer to give the final finish. A bit pricey but very nice all the same.

My own Kona project has hit the buffers as I am waiting for some V brakes which have enough adjustment to reach the skinny Campagnolo Atek rims I am using! The Orange is being picked up tomorrow!

I am well used to translating from US to UK as I am a US citizen by virtue of my parents but have lived here most of my life so any queries just ask!

Cheers, Pete.

Hey Pete -

Yeah you got the powder coating description down. I'm also having the 1993 decals made powder-coatable, so they're going to be underneath the upper layer (not like the normal stick-on ones). I always liked the 93 decals better than the 94 ones.

I've done okay translating so far I think.
Bits = parts?
Bollocks = crap
Respray = paint

ameybrook":jbtnadea said:
I've done okay translating so far I think.
Bits = parts?
Bollocks = crap
Respray = paint

Depending on the intended usage of course, bits, parts and bollocks could all mean the same thing.

eg, in the sentence "I went over the bars and crushed my parts on the stem." The word 'parts' could be substituted for 'bits' or indeed 'bollocks'.

Sorry... I'm bored, my wife has gone out and I've nothing to do.

Russell, what's keeping you! Surely if your wife's out then the Zaskar should be in the living room :LOL:

Tomorrow night you'll have a headset to fit anyway, enjoy the peace and quiet! ;)

Stick Legs":2ljg4glu said:
Russell, what's keeping you! Surely if your wife's out then the Zaskar should be in the living room :LOL:

Tomorrow night you'll have a headset to fit anyway, enjoy the peace and quiet! ;)

Ooooooooo, I don't know where to start, in this mornings post I received my headset (thanks Pete, loverly!) , a new Syncros stem (absolutely gorgeous!!!) and some STI levers for my road bike (boring but functional).. I very nearly exploded with excitement :)

Back