1997 Kona Hot Stars n Bars

The Tune Starkes Stück seatpost has arrived. It's a really simple design though slightly fiddly to initially install, but I was only half awake. The instructions say it's easiest to attach it with the saddle upside down.

There's a hole drilled through the top of the post where the bolt support goes through. The two half moon parts go above the rails, obviously. The half pipe section rests in the post cutout and supports the underside of the rails inboard of the uppers. They're the only posts I've noticed that have the bottom cut at an angle, not sure of the reason behind it. Weighs a featherly 169g.

Attachments

• Tune.jpg
    Tune.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 667
It looks good!

The reason for the angle cut is weight saving; the longest side goes on the front where the pressure is applied against the frame tube, while its cutout material would not suffer stress, so they cut it...

Ah OK, truly weight weenie. It is slightly fiddly installing it unless you have 3 hands but not enough to make you throw it out of the window.

It's looking good :)

DD0E0847-6F8D-4D27-81E9-E383B7D11787_zpseuugwi8m.jpg

This is mine, an older brother to yours ;)

Pat.

Hi Pat, Looks good. I like those forks but don't think I could put up with rigids. Remember being so glad to get rid of them when I used to race.

Can't decide which of the saddles to use. My favourite is an SLR Contador special edition but it's white (mostly), still suits it but it's not really retro looking.

The custom top cap arrived today, have been really looking forward to seeing it. Here is the artwork they had sent me for my OK.

I opened it and though "Oh". The "shine" isn't the light it's been "engraved" that way, which is fine. But the red ring looks too thin because the outer edge isn't well defined and it's also too dark especially at the top (that doesn't show up in the pic). It just spoils it but looks OK'ish from a distance.

Not sure if it's me being fussy or just because I'd imagined it differently that I'm disappointed. I'll see if my brother likes it.

Fortunately I won a Chris King patriot headset over the weekend. I wasn't planning on using it yet, the Cane Creek currently fitted is fine, but might swap them over now.

Attachments

• their artwork.png
    their artwork.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 613
  • actual.jpg
    actual.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 613
Skynet":1sm5y5n2 said:
The custom top cap arrived today, have been really looking forward to seeing it. Here is the artwork they had sent me for my OK.

I opened it and though "Oh". The "shine" isn't the light it's been "engraved" that way, which is fine. But the red ring looks too thin because the outer edge isn't well defined and it's also too dark especially at the top (that doesn't show up in the pic). It just spoils it but looks OK'ish from a distance.

Not sure if it's me being fussy or just because I'd imagined it differently that I'm disappointed. I'll see if my brother likes it.

Fortunately I won a Chris King patriot headset over the weekend. I wasn't planning on using it yet, the Cane Creek currently fitted is fine, but might swap them over now.

Would you say ..the colours to be more prominent..and no fading at the edges??

Ernie ;)

Yeah. At arms length you don't notice the fade so much but, however you look at it, the red band is too thin. If you didn't know any better you might be fine with it though.

Like I said perhaps I'm just being fussy.

If I did it again, which is unlikely, I'd fully do the design myself and then there would be no surprises.

Skynet":32002xkh said:
Yeah. At arms length you don't notice the fade so much but, however you look at it, the red band is too thin. If you didn't know any better you might be fine with it though.

Like I said perhaps I'm just being fussy.

:LOL: :LOL: I am a picky fecker as well.. :LOL: :LOL: ..nothing wrong with that ;)

Ernie ;)

Skynet":1i52peko said:
The Avid Ultimates arrived today. Unsurprisingly, considering how much they cost new, they seem very well made. I especially like the levers. On the back of the levers is printed the date they were made, in this instance 16th May 2006. They came with the noodles also cables and a spare spring kit.

I wonder if they are my old set?...I remember fitting new green pads for the chap I sold them to! :)

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your build :)

Cheers

Back