1987 Brodie Romax

Lookin' through some older posts, bumping this one up just 'cause it looks great :cool:
The packing crate bike rack lash-up is pretty handy too :LOL:

I didn't realized I never posted a picture of it with decals. The new owner sent me a handful of pictures from Germany so I'll put a couple up.
Thanks for the compliments, I left a part of me with that bike, it was a true restoration. Also spent hours getting the decals right! Had Brodie send me files of their new decals and then modified them myself.

I was so excited about the roller cam covers I sent Overland Equipment an email and asked if they still had the patterns! Nothing ventured, nothing gained… :oops:

P.S. Love the bike :cool: :cool:

That is absolutely gorgeous :p . Gotta get me a Brodie someday to keep my modern Canadian bikes company. Brake cover is super cool too!

Re: I'll see your 87 Brodie, and raise you mine. ;)

Thought I'd add to this and share mine.

I'm the original owner. I worked at Reckless Cycles in Vancouver, BC and we were one of the first to sell Brodies.

In a nutshell:

- 21.5" frame if I recall
- Fillet-brazed frame, unicrown fork and stem built by Paul Brodie, custom painted at Reckless (they used to have a paint booth), still with original paint
- New bits, or relatively new (hey, stuff wears out): wheels/tires, chainrings, chain + cassette, rear derailleur, bottom bracket, pedals, front brakes, seat post
- Some original parts remain (Brake levers, shifters, bar, front brakes (in a drawer), u-brake with brake booster, cranks (chain rings are new - different than the pictures), headset, Syncros bar ends
- Daily ridden (commuter bike now)
- It's got a few battle scars, but well loved and maintained.

87-brodie-romax-full.jpg

87-brodie-romax-front.jpg

87-brodie-romax-rear.jpg

I stumbled across this site and can't believe how many old makes and models flashed back to me from my years in bike retail (late 80s, early 90s)

Cheers,

David

Hi David, welcome to the site!
There's a few of us Canucks on here from the Westcoast.

Beautiful Brodie, Romax? Looks like a candidate for an easy restoration ;)
I can't imagine what it would have felt like to buy this bike off the showroom floor. Jealous!
Cheers, Andrew

Re:

Hey there,

Thanks. I'm enjoying it. I saw a pic of an off-road toad ... boy did that bring back memories. ;)

Serial #370.

Nope, not off the floor. Made just for me (I'm 6'4" so had to do some tweaking). Thus the patriotic paint job. I worked it off at the shop. Built it up myself, including the first set of wheels. Which was kinda cool as I'd never done a full on build including wheels.

Part of me would like to do a ground up (save the old parts, but buy new drivetrain and wheels - I'm on my 4th set), including a repaint, but a guy at a LBS said that would be heresy! Ha. Another had a flashback when he saw that I'd mounted my shifters upsidedown (to make them thumbshifters). They've been like that since day one, so left shifts rear, right shifts front.

It's getting long in the tooth and I may have to sell it ("may") if I want a new bike. My wife says if a new one comes into the garage, one has to go. She doesn't quite get the attachment. I'm so very torn. Although, we still have the bike I sold her 23 years ago. She just stopped riding it as the parts wore out - well, that and it just didn't fit as well any longer. ;)

That's the issue with mine ... stuff is getting harder to find and the cost to keep rebuilding keeps it a challenge. Ah, life. :)

It's my daily commuter now - I live in Ottawa - but it gets parked when the snow falls.

Cheers,

David

Back