Riding fixed - all it is cracked up to be?

ededwards":2c1gbgv4 said:
MadCowKev":2c1gbgv4 said:
Fixed is fine for the track but I wouldn't use it anywhere else.

So Kev, you don't rate the guy who rode the Three Peaks Cyclocross race fixed?

The mind boggles :shock: :shock:

Ed - I am quaking with fear about riding it with 20 speeds and disc brakes. :LOL:

Massive respect to the 'Samurai'.

MadCowKev":3hrsa8qw said:
ededwards":3hrsa8qw said:
MadCowKev":3hrsa8qw said:
Fixed is fine for the track but I wouldn't use it anywhere else.

So Kev, you don't rate the guy who rode the Three Peaks Cyclocross race fixed?

The mind boggles :shock: :shock:

Ed - I am quaking with fear about riding it with 20 speeds and disc brakes. :LOL:

Massive respect to the 'Samurai'.

he was right to ride it fixed , a lot lighter to carry it . :LOL:

m little fixie and me are sort of best friends some times i free wheel some times im fixed just have to check before every ride but good all the same cheap as well came with a good set of track wheels sealed cartredge bearig hubs the lot :cool: :cool: :cool: join the best un-fashionable group in the world we all love it

Attachments

• DSC00125 (Large).JPG
    DSC00125 (Large).JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 866
in theory fixed is great......at one with your machine blah blah, I was all up for building the sort of thing you see on fixedgeargallery.....anyhow, I tried fixed yesterday....nevermind at one with my machine, more like at odds with my machine!! I'm not sure I can see the benefit, it's slower around corners because I daren't leen over for fear of catching a pedal and as soon as I slow down it goes all out of synch :roll: I guess I could get used to the latter but the cornering....nah, I like to throw bikes into corners, I don't need one more thing to worry about...I think I'll be reverting to singlspeed with a freewheel tomorrow :LOL:

jango":pt1ekqiy said:
I was all up for building the sort of thing you see on fixedgeargallery.....anyhow, I tried fixed yesterday....nevermind at one with my machine, more like at odds with my machine!!

Riding fixed requires a different mindset.

One attempt is not enough to evaluate the experience.

My road bikes have all been fixed or single free or fixed since i was 15, im now 36 going on 37.

Never had a problem with my knees, chains never came off (except once on a single speed commuter with a seriously cheap bent chainring on a roundabout in islington - ouch) and havn't always had a back brake as my main fixie was never drilled for one.
Used to ride with the south devon ctc every week on one, even touring round wales in my late teens with panniers and full kit - and ive always lived in hilly places, devon, peak district and now scotland.

Ride 52*19 at the minute, still riding on the same back wheel my mates dad built me 21 years ago. Got my first road bike with gears in 20 years recently as i inherited my granddads dawes galaxy, use that for commuting into the westerly gales up here in the winter.

I love riding fixed, you get used to it, its slow down hills, but it gets you fit going back up, im sure it'll fade as a fad, but cant see me ever getting rid of my mullett :LOL:

mullett%202%20muchos.jpg

love this bike to bits, cost me £220 2nd hand in about '87

(my mountainbikes got 27 gears though...couldnt do without any of em)

jango":3isafynx said:
anyhow, I tried fixed yesterday....nevermind at one with my machine, more like at odds with my machine!!

Now at the end of 4 weeks commuting and although at sixes and sevens with the machine at first plus one groin top tube interface incident caused by a happy pedestrian stepping out in front of me I'm now getting the more 'at one with the machine' feeling so I think I'll keep at it a bit longer - I'm even thinking about a more suitable gear ratio!

Still desperately slow downhill though......

Back