what era is this old falcon, ?

zed

Retro Guru
i picked this up ages ago, these are the only pics ive got of it built as its now in bits in my shed, im thinking about just keeping it in surviver condition until i find out more about it, plus i dont think it will be easy to get the transfers for it, sadly the blue mudguards fell apart , so ive scraped them, ive some old clips and leather straps ill put on the pedals, so does anyone know anything about this model, sadly the model name has worn off, ill pull it out later and look for numbers, thanks for any help,

paul
rad456.jpg

rad457.jpg

rad459.jpg

the gear mech is similar to the old simplex one, form the 50's its a huret one, im thinking more 50's than 70,s ? well going on its parts, :?

I'm guessing early sixties. 40/32 wheels, Milremo stem, the wrapover seatstay cluster, skinny stays, and cottered cranks all fit. Much later, and the wheels would probably be 36/36.

Some of the frame details match this repainted 1962 Black Diamond pretty well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8983160@N0 ... 356767663/

but yours is obviously a different model.

Quoting from another site:

My 62 Black Diamond frame came with a lot of Milremo parts, including hubs, stem, and bars, but did have the Dunlop steel rims and huret components, with a Williams cottered crank and Atom freewheel.

Is the top tube bent, or is that just a trick of the lens?

one-eyed_jim":31meuh88 said:
Is the top tube bent, or is that just a trick of the lens?

Yes, I thought the headtube looked a bit steep too - but usually the downtube dents around the gear changer - very commonly with 531db where the whole tube just folds up.

thanks for that pic, wow now that something to aim for :D no its not bent lol, trick of the light ;)

Quite a mix of components - including odd brakes - so some of them may well have been changed from the original. I'd say early 60's although I'm sure by then a Huret TDF gear would not have been a normal fitting.

When did Ernie start marketing Falcon? I would say this is an earlyish one.

Are you sure the TT's not bent slightly? The Milremo stem should be parallel to the top tube if I remember and this one appears to be pointing slightly down.

Back