1997 Marin Mount Vision

dazdc5

Retro Guru
Quick help required here peeps, can I fit a SHIMANO DEORE M590 9 SPEED TRIPLE CHAINSET to my old bike, the original XT has give up the ghost and sourcing an 8sp square taper is doing my nut in!!

Cheers

Re:

Yes, 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed cranksets/chainrings will all work with an 8 speed drivetrain.

What's wrong with the original, if it's a standard 4 or 5 bolt design and it's just the chainrings they are readily available: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s0p0, although, annoyingly, just the chainrings sometimes costs more than a whole new chainset. :?

Re:

590 are made for 50 mm chainline, aren't they? So you might need a different spacer setup as suggested. But not sure about that.

Which leads me to a different question: Anyone ever tried a shimano 590 crankset with a road bb (cups) ? I have a bike with a ita thread and shimano doesn't supply ita mtb bb's :roll: Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Re:

Cheers.

the original is just worn out, with loads of slack on the middle ring that the bolts cannot remove even with shaving 1mm off the ends of the caps... outer ring looks like hooks rather than teeth.. :roll:
dunno what he's been doing on it, but sourcing separates is more than a complete new unit.

The front mech is an XT M772a unit, will there be enough 'swing' to all three chainrings?

Cheers

Re:

590 are made for 50 mm chainline, aren't they? So you might need a different spacer setup as suggested. But not sure about that.

Which leads me to a different question: Anyone ever tried a shimano 590 crankset with a road bb (cups) ? I have a bike with a ita thread and shimano doesn't supply ita mtb bb's :roll: Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Modern Hollowtech chainsets come with three 2.5mm spacers and work with either 68 or 73mm bottom bracket, you leave out two spacers if you have a 73mm BB. Provided the cups/bearings are suitable for use with a Shimano Hollowtech chainset they should be fine. I'm not sure what the difference between road and MTB bearings is, probably not much.

The front mech is an XT M772a unit, will there be enough 'swing' to all three chainrings?

I assume the original chainset had three chainrings, in which case the original front mech should be fine.

Back