2013 Kona Honky Tonk

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My first road bike, and quite cheap. Was looking second hand but there was nothing that wasn't near-ruined for less than £400. I have been into mountain bikes for 20 years so know nothing about road bikes. Therefore, the appeal of a modern bike I could use straight away and that would be reliable won out. The bike is obviously modern, so not expecting much love here, but I certainly love it! I do think that the looks are very retro-sensitive, nice and understated and refreshing to see steel frame and forks on a modern road bike. Bought this for £550 off a well know online retailer.

Only been on shorter rides but getting used to the switch from mountain bikes and how to handle those skinny wheels. Have a 140 mile charity ride over two days in a few weeks time.

Before you ask the cardboard on the headtube has been removed, just kept it on there as didn't want the cables to rub and had no patches to stop this. Now sorted so the headtube badge is now on display (I'll grab a photo this week). Excuse the poor quality pics, will get some better ones if anyone is interested.

Re:

nice find,thought they had stopped making rd frames.id love to have a go on one of these.

Re:

Feeling that, it's like a paddy wagon with gears. Shame it's nt in a bright colou, but nice nonetheless

Re:

its a very good bike and you payed a good price!
I've built one of these for a good customer of mine with a set a lightweight touring wheels, a mostly 105 group set, ritchey wcs classic and brooks leather seat and bartape. It's a really nice a versatile bike but just needs ' alittlesomething' to really stand out. Oftentimes the bearings on Kona's are notoriously weak, so keep an eye on those.

thanks for the positive comments...

My first road bike but really taken to it.

Point noted about the bearings!

Will likely upgrade it over time, but for now just clocking up the miles with a big grin on my face. For the price I do feel it has a lot more character than a standard aluminium frame with no distinctive features

superstu":23qnx50j said:
but for now just clocking up the miles with a big grin on my face.

You are either fitter than me, or not trying hard enough, as in my case, what looks like a grin is in fact a grimace of sheer pain.

I love my road bikes :mrgreen:

just wondered how this frame compares to previous kona frames going for mega bucks [geometry.weight]. even though expense was spared,l really like the fork being steel.

oonaff":28hyieic said:
just wondered how this frame compares to previous kona frames going for mega bucks [geometry.weight]. even though expense was spared,l really like the fork being steel.
My first road bike so it's difficult for me to compare. But that was behind my thoughts when I purchased it - second hand ones were going for silly money so just made sense going new.

Neil I can assure you I'm not fit just not pushing myself hard enough!!

I know I'm new to road bikes but I am loving it (the bike and the sport)

Excuse the poor qulaity phone pic, but the headtube badge is reminiscent of the old 'swirly' design which I think is cool:

Back